Sometimes we look up at the wires over our head in Philly, and a flash back image of celebrity Hitchcock's "The Birds," comes to mind. But now is you bird watcher's chance to take a shoot a bird (take a picture of one) for a chance to win a contest! The Lodge at Pico Bonito has kicked off #BirdseyeOnThePrize Instagram Contest.
Capture and post your best photos of birds in your everyday life and win a two-night stay for two at one of the World’s Leading Eco-Lodges.
Set at the base of Honduras’ vibrant Pico Bonito National Park and named among the world’s top eco-lodges, The Lodge at Pico Bonito is announcing its first Instagram competition, #BirdseyeOnThePrize. Revered as a dream destination for travelers and bird watchers seeking an escape into an all-encompassing natural paradise, the lodge is an established haven for birders.
Celebrity Hitchcock would have enjoyed a relaxing breakfast on the shaded, open-air porch or an early morning trip to one of the property’s observation towers, natural wonders and exotic bird species abound at Pico Bonito -- home to over 400 bird species. Regular sightings include Honduras’ endangered Emerald Hummingbird, the brilliant Keel-Billed Toucan, and the elusive lovely Cotinga, all in an unparalleled jungle setting.
With the goal of celebrating the beauty of birds and bringing awareness to these fascinating creatures, The Lodge at Pico Bonito asks bird watcher followers to post photos that capture the beauty of birds in their everyday lives. From July 15 through October 31, 2013, Instagram users can follow @PicoBonito and submit their best photos, along with the hashtag, #BirdseyeOnThePrize, for their chance to win a stay for two at The Lodge at Pico Bonito.
Requirements and parameters include:
Contest Start date: July 15, 2013
Contest End Date: October 31, 2013
1. Follow @PicoBonito on Instagram
2. Post photos of birds in your daily life to Instagram including the location where the image was taken and the following:
• Required tag: @PicoBonito
• Required hashtag: #BirdseyeOnThePrize
Grand Prize: A two-night stay for two people at The Lodge at Pico Bonito
Runner Up: A birding excursion for two people at The Lodge at Pico Bonito
Second Runner Up: $100 restaurant credit
Participants must be 18 years or older. All winners will be chosen by The Lodge at Pico Bonito’s team of expert naturalists, and will be announced via Instagram on November 15, 2013.
Head Naturalist At Pico Bonito Offers Tips to Help You Keep Your #BirdseyeOnThePrize
1. Focus on areas where birds feed (i.e. feeders, fruiting or flowering trees)
2. Hide if you can, be patient and let the birds come to you.
3. If you spot a bird and it doesn’t move, begin taking pictures from far away and keep on taking them as you move in gradually.
4. Observe and learn a bird’s movements. Birds, like people, are creatures of habit, and very often one can predict where and when a bird will be by simply observing. Celebrity Hitchcock noticed birds on a wire, and observed others did not pay to much attention to them, and this spawned the idea of one of the most iconic horror films today.
5. When moving towards a bird to take a picture, hide behind something if possible, then peak around to take the shot.
6. Move slowly so as not to alarm a bird. Respectfully working within a bird’s comfort zone will result in the best image.
Rates are based on double occupancy, and includes daily breakfast, a private tour of the butterfly farm and serpentarium, and access to the loop trail. The Lodge is accessible from major American gateway airports. For further info visit www.picobonito.com .