Many women over 35 think that it’s impossible to wear shimmery makeup without looking older. The common myth is that the glimmer seeps into fine lines and accentuates them. These days, advances in makeup technology have taken the ageism out of facial bling. It is completely acceptable for women of any age to wear shimmery makeup. Here are some tips on how you can pull it off.
1. Use a good primer: A good primer will hold your makeup in place and make it less likely to crease. Adding a primer like Urban Decay Primer Potion or Too Faced Shadow Insurance to your routine will help your shadow stay put. For face makeup, a silicon based primer helps makeup stay on the surface of the skin rather than settling into lines.
2. Size matters: One trick to shimmery makeup is to make sure that the glitter particles are small. Larger flecks tend to be more noticeable, and they can detract from your look. If you want to add sparkle, do it in small doses. Bobbi Brown Metallic Cream Eyeshadow is perfect, because it is sheer and can be layered to achieve the desired look.
3. Go easy: Unless you want to look like an extra from a Ke$ha video, it’s best to use shimmer sparingly. Add some to the corner of your eyes and your brow line to make your look pop. Or add some shimmery liner or mascara to add a small touch of sparkle. Try Makeup Geek Gel Liners to define your eyes with style.
4. Add a dewey glow: One of the benefits to makeup with a hint of shimmer is that it can instantly refresh your look. Choosing a subtle blush or bronzer with a hint of glimmer can leave your skin looking healthy and vibrant. Lancome offers a wide range of blush and bronzer in varying tones that look good on anyone.
5. Keep it on the lips: There’s no easier way to add some shine to your look with a sheer lip gloss. While many glimmer glosses of the past were goopy and thick, these days there are several that offer a sheer pop of color with shine. Neutrogena Revitalizing Lip Balm offers a pop of shimmer while soothing your lips from the cold, dry air.