On Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014 the Epilepsy Foundation of Hawaii will be hosting the 12th annual Sharon's Ride for Epilepsy. Sharon's Ride is a unique memorial to Sharon Rosenfeld, a nurse and teacher who cared deeply about epilepsy and epilepsy patients who was killed during a cross country bicycle ride in 1993. Sharon's Ride Run Walk for Epilepsy was started in 1996 in St. Louis, Missouri by Dr. William Rosenfeld and Dr. Susan Lippmann, neurologists who specialize in epilepsy and who created the event to honor the memory of Dr. Rosenfeld's sister. Sharon's Ride takes place at 7 sites across the country and we are honored that Dr. Rosenfeld and his family will be in Honolulu for our event!
Sharon's Ride/Walk for Epilepsy is a family oriented fund and awareness raising event that offers a challenge for experienced athletes as well as a fun day for the rest of us. There will be a 35 Km (about 25 mile) bike ride from Kapiolani Community College to Kalama Valley or continue to Kailua with your choice of 100 Km (62 mile) or 75 km (50 mile) loop. For younger kids we have a bike obstacle course and bike safety program! As usual we will also have a 1 mile walk that is freindly to wheelchairs, strollers, and pets on a leash and again this year we will also have a timed 5 Km and 10 Km runs into Diamond Head Crater. Food, fun, and activities for the keiki will be on hand before and after the ride and we will have plenty of prizes! Participants are encouraged to bring their families, their pets, their bikes, scooters or wheelchairs. Participation by disabled individuals is encouraged. Family and team participation is also encouraged with prizes and awards for biggest teams and top individual and team fundraisers!
All proceeds collected locally from the event will go to the Epilepsy Foundation of Hawaii, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing services to individuals with seizure disorders. It is estimated that over 15,000 Hawaii residents suffer from epilepsy and over 75,000 people are touched by it. Since 1971 the EFH has provided information and educational services to individuals and groups with questions pertaining to epilepsy. For more information see us on the web at www.HawaiiEpilepsy.com or call 808-528-3058 (toll free at 866-528-3058 from neighbor islands).
Where: Kapiolani Community College (Diamond Head side)
When: Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014
- Registration begins 6 a.m.
- 100, 75, and 35 Km bike rides begin at 7 a.m.
- 5 Km and 10 Km runs into Diamond Head Crater begin at 7:30 a.m.
- Walk begins at 8:30 a.m.
- Keiki bike safety and obstacle course begins 10 a.m.
- Early Packet pick up Saturday, Jan 25th 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. located at 1050 Ala Moana Blvd #2550 (in Ward Warehouse second floor across from Island Guitars)
- On the big day park in Kapiolani Community College parking lot C upper level and then register on the lower level near the chapel.
- $40 for the cycling segment before Jan. 15th
- $25 for the run (5k, 10k or 1 mile walk) before Jan. 15th
- $50 for the cycling segment after Jan. 15th
- $30 for the run (5k, 10k or 1 mile walk) after Jan. 15th