Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

SFPD police log, May 16, 2013: Homicide in the Bayview District

File photo
File photo
Thomas K. Pendergast

Here are some recent crimes in San Francisco, culled from SFPD reports.

Please note that the sub-headings in bold type are commentary from the reporter and not part of the original police log item.

Man stabbed to death in the Bayview district

May 15, 01:45 a.m., at the intersection of Innes Avenue and Arelilous Walker, near the India Basin in Hunter’s Point.

Police officers responded to a report from neighbors about hearing a man screaming. When they arrived they found Cameron Myers, 20, suffering from stab wounds. He was transported to San Francisco General Hospital, where he died. As it is an ongoing homicide investigation, police are not releasing further information about this case at this time.

At least eight cell phones stolen within 58 hours

A spike in cell phone thefts, most of them by strong-arm robberies, has deprived at least eight people lately of their property.

The latest was this morning, May 16, at 01:58 a.m. on the 400 block of Pierce Street. Police say a man approached two women, one 46-years-old and the other 29-years-old, knocked them both to the ground and grabbed a purse from one of them, overpowered her and then fled on foot. Inside the purse were a cell phone and a wallet with US currency. The woman was bruised on a knee and had an abrasion on her elbow but refused medical treatment.

On May 13, at 4:00 p.m. a 16-year-old male was standing outside a school in the Bayview District when four other 16-year-old juveniles approached him and demanded his cell phone. When he refused they “jumped” him, “knocked him out” and took his cell phone, police say. The victim suffered a fractured nose but his injuries were not life threatening.

A few hours later at 7:05 p.m. a 61-year-old man was on a bus near the intersection of 15th and Mission streets when a man described as between 45 and 50 years old approached the victim from behind and grabbed a cell phone from his grasp. The suspect then left the bus and fled on foot.

At 10:25 p.m. that same evening near the intersection of Ulloa Street and 14th Avenue, a 23-year-old woman was walking when two suspects approached her. One of them brandished a gun and demanded her property. She handed him her cell phone and the other suspect grabbed her purse, then both of them fled on foot.

On the morning of May 15, at 11:05 a.m., a 25-year-old woman was waiting for a bus near the intersection of Mission and 3rd streets, and was using her cell phone when a man of about the same age knocked her to the ground, took her cell phone and fled on foot.

Less than an hour later at 11:50 a.m., near the intersection of Geary Boulevard and Laguna Street, a 29-year-old woman was also waiting for a bus and using her cell phone when two juveniles, described as somewhere between 14 and 17 years-old, grabbed the phone from her hand. A struggle between them ensued but the juveniles got the phone away from her and fled on foot. She suffered a cut to the finger but it was not life threatening and she refused medical treatment.

At 6:30 p.m. that evening, a 28-year-old woman was riding a Muni bus near the intersection of San Bruno and Wilde avenues in Visitacion Valley when a man described as in his 20s came up from behind her and grabbed the cell phone she was holding, then got off the bus and ran toward Mansell Street.

Less than two hours later, at 7:55 p.m., a 67-year-old woman got into an argument with two men described as in their 20s on the 5 Fulton bus. One suspect grabbed the woman and punched her, while the other grabbed her cell phone and briefcase. They got off the bus at the 600 block of Gough Street and were observed fleeing the scene in a black, four-door sedan.

It is generally a bad idea to taunt crazy people

On May 9 at 10: 10 p.m. a victim was on a 38 Geary Boulevard Muni bus and police say he was talking to himself. The suspect, also on the bus, began taunting the victim and mocking him. There was an exchange of words and the suspect hit the victim in the head with a skateboard. The victim, who had his keys in his hand, hit back at the suspect in self-defense. The suspect told the victim to get off the bus so they could “finish this” and when the bus stopped at 17th Avenue and Geary Blvd., the suspect exited but the victim stayed on the bus. Police later located the suspect and a 22-year-old male was charged with aggravated assault. The victim was transported to a local hospital for a laceration to his left eye.

Bank Robbery

On May 7 at 10:08am, a suspect entered a bank on the 3400 block of California Street and simulated that he was armed. He demanded cash and the teller complied. He fled on foot out the rear door of the bank. He was described as a black male, between 48 and 52-years-old, wearing a white hooded sweatshirt, light colored t-shirt, black pants and sunglasses.

He might have more time to meditate in jail

On May 5 at 10:25 p.m. police officers were called to 43rd Avenue and Fulton Street about a man refusing to exit a Muni bus. When the officers arrived, the suspect, who was the only one on the bus, had his head resting on his knees and his arms covering his face. The police officers shook the male to wake him and the suspect said, “I’m fine; I am just meditating.” The officers informed him that he needed to exit the bus but he ignored them and tried to go back to sleep. The officers were able to get him into a standing position and removed him from the bus. The 22-year-old male had a warrant for his arrest for aggravated assault and so he was arrested and charged.

Conveniently enough, he still had on his jail ID bracelet

On May 4 at 9:35 p.m. a police officer patrolling Golden Gate Park came across a man who was taking garbage from a can and creating a mess on the sidewalk. The officer stopped asked the man for his identification, so the suspect showed him is SF County Jail identification bracelet, which he was still wearing. The suspect was on probation and a search of his backpack turned up methamphetamine. The 21-year-old man was charged with narcotic violations.

Considering his behavior and personal armory, got to arrest him for something

On May 4 at 8:10 a.m. police officers were called to a report of a man with a knife in the area of 15th Avenue and Geary Blvd. They arrived on scene and detained a suspect, who was in possession of three knives, two corkscrews, a box cutter and a pair of shears. The victim told the officers that he was inside a local business when the suspect entered. The suspect was talking to himself, when he approached two girls sitting at a table and, the victim alleged, began to call the girls names. The suspect then looked in the direction of the victim and said “I’ll knock you down.” The suspect turned away momentarily and when he turned back he had taken a knife out of a case, then put it back and told the victim that he wanted the victim’s guitar. The victim picked up his purchase and left the business, then called 9-11. The 26-year-old suspect was arrested and charged with attempted robbery, threats and brandishing a weapon.

Soft heart or soft head?

At 5:22 p.m. on May 1, a woman at the 2600 block of 39th Avenue reported that she was on an online dating website and had contacted a man she was interested in. The two corresponded multiple times daily and so the woman started to trust the man. He told her that he was a contract cruise ship employee and was recently injured from a terrorist attack while in Dubai. He needed money for medical bills and asked the victim if she would loan him the money. She agreed and wired the money to him. He continued requesting money from her, however, and she complied. After several wire transfers, the victim sent a large sum of money to the suspect. She became suspicious of the suspect’s medical condition and informed the police. The SFPD investigations unit of Taraval station will continue to look at this case.

Never bring a vegetable peeler to a coffee mug fight

At 6:35 p.m. on May 1, a fight broke out inside a home on the 200 block of Sadowa Street and police arrived to break it up. Multiple people were involved in an argument but only two actually fought. A man allegedly brandished a “knife-looking” object at a woman. She said she felt threatened and punched the man several times in the chest and face. She also grabbed a coffee mug and smashed it on the man’s head. Police investigated and concluded that the initial “knife-looking” object was a vegetable peeler. Both the man and the woman involved in the fight were arrested, charged for assault and booked at Taraval Station.


Report this ad