And now, in the category of "Don't Try This at Home," we present the seven worst weight loss methods in the world. How did these scary slim-down secrets get their dubious honor? They were chosen by Cynthia Sass, MPH, RD, author of "S.A.S.S. Yourself Slim: Conquer Cravings, Drop Pounds, and Lose Inches." And now, the infamous weight loss winners are:
- Plastic tongue patch: This temporary surgery makes eating painful, forcing you to limit yourself to 800 calories daily.
- Tube feeding: Who needs food when you can have a tube inserted through your nose for nourishment?
- Drunkorexia: Restrict calories, saving them up for alcohol, which can make you so sick that you vomit.
- Tapeworms: This dangerous Internet weight loss fad can cause multiple problems, causing the Center for Disease Control to issue warnings against it.
- Starvation: Your body needs water - but drinking only water isn't the answer to permanent weight loss.
- Smoking: Contemplating turning to cigarettes to boost your metabolism and dull your appetite? The risks are not worth the rewards.
- Stimulants: From mood swings to messing up your metabolism, diet pills can ruin your health.
Cynthia offers this reminder: "In our weight-obsessed culture, it's easy to understand the temptation to gamble on a quick fix, but no loss of inches and pounds is worth risking your health. And while it may take a little more time and patience, clean eating and exercise do work – while also keeping you safe and healthy. Remember, YOU are more important than the number on a scale."