You can make these simple cookies in little more than half an hour, and the ingredients are pretty easy to find. Note that when we say “Eagle Brand” condensed milk, we mean the thick, sweetened condensed milk that Borden’s has made for years, not the thin unsweetened evaporated milk you might use in sauces.
And, while you can use any butterscotch chips you can find, the Nestle ones taste pretty artificial. Trader Joes and Whole Foods and other specialty grocers have better varieties. You can also order them from King Arthur Flour.
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) melted
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350º F
- In an 10 x 13” pan, arrange the ingredients as follows
- Pour the melted butter into the pan, and tip to see to covers the entire pan bottom.
- Sprinkle in the graham cracker crumbs, distributing them with spatula or spoon if need be.
- Add the coconut, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips one after another.
- Pour the Eagle Brand condensed milk over the entire surface.
- Add the chopped nuts.
- Bake for about half an hour and cool.
- Cut into bars or squares once cool, and store in a sealed container.
Not only are these bars delicious, so are the little pieces left over after carving, which invariably are snarfed up by the cook!