Zucchini Fritters, Yield: 6 Servings
- Zucchini or other squash, 1 ½ pounds
- Egg, 1 egg
- Parsley Leaves, 1/2 cup
- Grated Parmesan, 1/2 cup
- Garlic Clove, Peeled and chopped finely, 2 cloves
- Cayenne or other Hot Chile, Pinch
- Bread Crumbs, 1 cup
- Lemons, cut into wedges, 2 lemons
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
1. Trim the zucchini and grate with a box grater. Place the grated zucchini in a bowl that has been lined with a kitchen towel. Carefully wring out as much moisture as possible from the grated zucchini and place the dry zucchini gratings in a clean bowl.
2. Add the egg, parsley, cheese, garlic and cayenne to the grated, dry zucchini. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth. Gently stir in 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs until a batter forms. The batter should hold its shape. If not, you may need to add more breadcrumbs.
3. Pour enough frying oil into a non-stick skillet or cast iron pan to cover the bottom of the pan by 1/4 inch. Heat the oil on medium-high heat until it is hot. A pinch of breadcrumbs will sizzle when dropped into the oil.
4. Drop the batter from a large spoon into the oil. Cook until browned on both sides. If the fritters are brown on the outside but raw in the center, lower the heat. As you continue to cook the fritters, you may need to add more oil.
5. Continue cooking fritters, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer finished fritters to a paper towel lined pan. Serve hot or warm with lemon wedges