As we all know a leprechaun is a mischievous little fairy that takes on the form of an old man in many Irish folklore sagas. This little guy is remembered for watching over that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Here we are going to change that pot of gold into a bowl of soup. Leprechaun soup to be exact! A delicious soup we'll pack full of vitamins, minerals and lots of green vegetables.
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound of fresh or frozen peas
- 2 cups of cooked asparagus tips
- 6 cups of fresh chopped baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup of heavy cream
- In a medium sauce pan add the scallions, minced garlic and 1 ½ cups of chicken broth.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, cover and cook on high for 5-6 minutes or until scallions are tender.
- Next, add the peas and cover the pan once again.
- Bring the soup mixture to a boil once more.
- Now add the cooked asparagus tips and chopped baby spinach leaves.
- Cook uncovered for about 2-3 minutes until the spinach is completely wilted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the heavy cream and stir till well mixed.
- Spice with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to a soup tureen or serving bowl.
- Serve hot.
- If you don’t have time to steam fresh asparagus you can also use canned asparagus spears.
- Serve with flavored croutons for a little crunchy texture to accompany the soup.
- Save a few asparagus tips to garnish the top of the soup serving bowl or individual dishes.
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
More reading topics from this author:
Find more recipes and cooking tips with easy step-by-step instructions visit me at Jackson Cooking Examiner. For fun, crafty, holiday, events, tips and tricks and education stories to enjoy join me at Home and Living Examiner. Interested in health issues, recalls, medical conditions and tips and tricks for a healthier lifestyle follow me to Healthy Living Examiner. Looking for celebrity news, scoops, pop culture, events, attractions and entertainment stories follow the Jackson Celebrity Examiner.