EUGENE, Oregon – Explosions shook the University of Oregon campus in the area of the Health Center.around 10 a.m. on Monday, Jan 7, 2012, the first day of winter term, Black smoke could be seen pouring from an underground tunnel.
University officials released information via text message about the explosions just after 10 a.m., asking students and faculty avoid the area around the Health Center due to an "emergency incident."
Student CJ Willett says, “There were a few explosions about every 15 seconds. I got into my dorm and the power was all off and about two minutes later I got a text."
First responders closed Agate St. between 13th and 15th Streets, and campus officials ask drivers to find alternate routes until police and fire crews reopen the area. Intermittent power outages were reported around the campus.
Police and University officials confirmed that a series of underground explosions shook the area near the building. They do not know what caused it, but think it might be related to some sort of electrical problem. They do not think workers caused the incident.
Feel free to post your comments below.
If you would like to receive regular updates from this author, subscribe free. Click SUBSCRIBE at the top of this page, and you will receive a free Email with a link to future articles.
- Most admired in 2012 President Barack Obama and Sec of State Hillary Clinton
- Power pole fires blaze in Ohio, Minnesota, Virginia, North Carolina, and Texas
- Happy Chinese New Year 2013, Year of the Water Snake: Gung Hay Fat Choy!
- The ‘bath salts nightmare’ drug opens door to addiction, demons, and death (Photos)
- 55. Planet X 'Second Sun' sightings and unusual sky phenomenon from around the world (Photos)