Sergio Garcia pledged Tuesday to support First Tee chapters in several communities in which he’ll compete for the remainder of the FedEx Cup season.
Starting with the Bridgestone Invitational, which beginsThursday, and ending at the Tour Championship in September, the eight-time PGA Tour winner will donate $1,000 for each birdie he makes and $2,000 for every eagle to a host of First Tee chapters.
“I am very excited to be able to help support The First Tee and the good works it does in teaching youth the great life skills that are a part of our sport,” Garcia said from Firestone Country Club, sight of this week’s tour stop. “I really enjoyed getting to spend some time with some of the local kids on the driving range today and am really eager to see how much I can help out over the rest of the season.”
Garcia, like many of his tour colleagues, is a long-time backer of charities and does his good work via his “Sergio’s Foundation,” which he founded in 2002. Most recently, however, the 33-year-old Spaniard has become notorious for taking his dislike for Tiger Woods public and beyond the bounds of good taste when he made a racist remark about the world No. 1.
With both players saying they had put their ugly tiff behind them, Garcia hoped to better his lackluster 2013 season (four top-10s, no wins) down the stretch, when he may play up to seven more events.
"The year isn't over yet," Garcia told USAToday’s Steve DiMeglio. "Maybe I can make something happen and do some good for The First Tee."
Here are the remaining events on the 2013 FedEx Cup schedule and their corresponding local First Tee organizations:
FedEx Cup season:
- WGC-Bridgestone Invitational (The First Tee of Akron, The First Tee of Canton, The First Tee of Cleveland)
- PGA Championship (The First Tee of Western New York, The First Tee of Syracuse, The First Tee of Corning)
- Wyndham Championship (The First Tee of the Triad)
FedEx Cup playoff series:
- The Barclays (The First Tee of Raritan Valley, The First Tee of Met New York)
- Deutsche Bank Championship (The First Tee of Massachusetts)
- BMW Championship (The First Tee of Greater Chicago)
- Tour Championship (The First Tee of Atlanta, The First Tee of East Lake)