From Academy Award filmmaker Steven Soderbergh comes HBO’s glittering and outrageous drama film Behind the Candelabra that takes a look at the tempestuous relationship between world-renown performer Liberace and his young live-in lover Scott Thorson. Based on Thorson’s tell-all memoir Behind the Candelabra: My Life with Liberace, it stars Academy Award winner Michael Douglas as Liberace and Matt Damon as Thorson -- both giving electrifying performances. The all-star supporting cast includes Emmy winner and Academy Award nominee Dan Aykroyd, Golden Globe winner and Emmy nominee Scott Bakula, SAG Award winner and multiple Golden Globe nominee Rob Lowe, Tom Papa, multiple Emmy and Golden Globe nominee Paul Reiser and Academy Award Golden Globe and Emmy nominee Debbie Reynolds. Behind the Candelabra has received 14 Primetime Emmy nominations including outstanding cast, outstanding directing and outstanding lead actor nominations for both Douglas and Damon.
In the summer of 1977, the young, handsome 17-year-old Scott Thorson meets Liberace -- the famous virtuoso pianist, outrageous entertainer and flamboyant star of stage and television who lives a lavish life full of excess on and off stage. Despite their age difference and seemingly different worlds, Liberace takes a liking to Thorson after he helps cure one of his beloved dogs, who was suffering from temporary blindness. At Liberace’s request, Thorson becomes his live-in “assistant” and the two embark on a secretive five-year love affair. As Liberace tries to mold Thorson into a younger version of himself -- with the help of a plastic surgeon, their turbulent relationship begins to fall apart. Ultimately, Thorson’s drug problem and Liberace’s promiscuity destroys their relationship and the two part ways. It is not until Liberace is at his deathbed before they meet for one last emotionally touching conversation. Behind the Candelabra captures Liberace’s appeal that created a loyal fan base spanning his 40-year career and the personal life he and his management fiercely protected to maintain his public persona -- reminding us how attitudes were very different at the time.
"The Making of Behind the Candelabra" featurette is included in the DVD and Blu-ray Combo Pack releases, which explores the legacy of Liberace through costumes, sets, locations, and prosthetics with several cast and the crew members including Douglas and Damon.
- Michael Douglas as Liberace
- Matt Damon as Scott Thorson
- Dan Aykroyd as Seymour Heller
- Rob Lowe as Dr. Jack Startz
- Debbie Reynolds as Frances Liberace
- Scott Bakula as Bob Black
- Tom Papa as Ray Arnett
- Paul Reiser as Mr. Felder
- Nicky Katt as Mr. Y
- Cheyenne Jackson as Billy Leatherwood
- The Making of Behind the Candelabra
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Blockbuster: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.