If you are considering a simple meal at home, here is a great recipe to jump start the brain. Each day through Valentine's Day, I will post a "Sensual Meal" item for you to contemplate whipping up for your loved one. Please keep in mind this is not a "menu" so to speak. Each item is separate from the other and each one is designed to "plant a seed" or to start the creative processes bubbling and brewing while preparing the menu.
Steamed Mussels in White Wine
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 1/2 pounds mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place shallot, onion, wine, butter, and vinegar in a large heavy pot. Add mussels, cover, and bring to a boil. Cook, gently shaking pot once or twice, until mussels open, 3–5 minutes ~ Be sure to be your seafood as fresh as fresh as possible, any mussels that do not open need to be discarded.
- Line a strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth and place over a bowl, set aside.
- Transfer mussels to a large bowl, using a slotted spoon. Pour mixture in pot through prepared strainer.
- Season broth with pepper and pour over mussels. Sprinkle with parsley.