Eight of ten Hawkeyes won their matches, including St. John, the No. 2-ranked 157-pounder, who completed his career in the House that Gable Built with a near-perfect 31-1… while Ramos, ranked third at 133, managed to finish with a flawless 34-0 record at home.
Iowa head coach Tom Brands – before Ramos, the last Hawkeye to go undefeated in four seasons in the home venue (1989-92) – said, “There is something special about Carver-Hawkeye Arena, and there is something special about our fans, and there is something special about how they reward their guys," said Brands. "It's their team and they feel a lot of ownership with that. Especially when you're doing the job, and the way Ramos competes, he's been able to do the job."
In addition to Ramos and St. John, Iowa also honored seniors Joe DuCharme, Ethen Lofthouse, Tomas Lira, and Nick Trizzino at the conclusion of the dual.
The Wolverines left Iowa with two wins: Steve Dutton at 141 pounds, and freshman heavyweight Adam Coon, who was awarded the match because of a mere six-second riding time advantage over Bobby Telford after completing two sudden victory periods.
With the win, Iowa is now 13-2 for the season, and 6-1 in Big Ten competition; Michigan falls to 10-4 overall, with a 6-2 record in the Big Ten.
- 125: Cory Clark (IA) dec. No. 19 Conor Youtsey (UM), 4-1
- 133: No. 3 Tony Ramos (IA) dec. No. 19 Rossi Bruno (UM), 6-1
- 141: No. 13 Steve Dutton (UM) dec. No. 9 Josh Dziewa (IA), 3-2
- 149: No. 12 Brody Grothus (IA) dec. No. 7 Eric Grajales (UM), 17-14
- 157: No. 2 Derek St. John (IA) dec. No. 14 Brian Murphy (UM), 3-1
- 165: No. 4 Nick Moore (IA) dec. No. 6 Dan Yates (UM), 8-2
- 174: No. 5 Mike Evans (IA) tech. fall Collin Zeerip (UM), 16-0
- 184: Sammy Brooks (IA) dec. No. 16 Domenic Abounader (UM), 9-4
- 197: No. 16 Nathan Burak (IA) dec. Chris Heald (UM), 4-1
- Hwt: No. 2 Adam Coon (UM) dec. No. 3 Bobby Telford (IA), 3-3 SV 2 (:06 riding time advantage)
The heart of the season is here! Don't miss a thing! Keep up with the biggest on-the-mat developments, as well coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs, new events, new ways to promote wrestling, and other stories you won't find elsewhere... by clicking the "subscribe" button at the top of the page to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!