It's hard to believe that it's been 25 years since, in a last ditch effort to saving a sinking company and an uninspired career, Hironobu Sakaguchi created what would become a hallmark of not only role-playing games, but video games at large. Spawning 14 core games, with a plethora of spin-off titles, the Final Fantasy series has come a long way since its release in 1987. To celebrate, developer Square-Enix is marking a selection of some of the series' finest titles half-off through the Playstation Network.
Currently underway, the sale will last for the next two weeks and includes the majority of the series' pre-PS2 titles, as well as the more recent fighting series, "Dissidia Final Fantasy." The full list of titles can be found below.
While this will no doubt allow veterans of the series a chance to relive some of their favorite stories for a discounted price, while also allowing new players to experience some of the best that Final Fantasy has to offer, the sale comes with a slightly bittersweet undertone. Recent offerings being somewhat lackluster, and highly anticipated titles seemingly left in Duke Nukem Forever, Chinese Democracy purgatory (hopefully not to see the same fate) some might view this sale as too little too late. Instead of a bunch of titles fans no doubt already own (on numerous platforms) Square-Enix might give fans a real treat: a release date on Final Fantasy Versus XIII perhaps? Or at least, you know, a refund on All The Bravest.
The titles on sale for Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary:
- DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY (PSP)
- DISSIDIA DUODECIM PROLOGUS FINAL FANTASY (PSP)
- DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY (PSP)
- FINAL FANTASY Tactics: War of Lions (PSP)
- Final Fantasy (PSOne Classics)
- Final Fantasy II (PSOne Classics)
- FINAL FANTASY IV: Complete Collection (PSP)
- Final Fantasy V (PSOne Classics)
- Final Fantasy VI (PSOne Classics)
- Final Fantasy VII (PSOne Classics)
- Final Fantasy VIII (PSOne Classics)
- Final Fantasy IX (PSOne Classics)