The "Seeking Him" small group Bible Study met at New Canaan Worship Center in Richmond, Virginia on Thursday, Dec. 5 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
The lesson was "How to Hear From God: Are You Listening?"
The lesson began by Rev. Margaret Minnicks telling the group that in the Bible God spoke to His people through seven distinct methods.
- God spoke through divine revelation.
- God spoke through an audible voice.
- God spoke through dreams and visions.
- God spoke through the prophets.
- God spoke through circumstances.
- God spoke through angels.
- God spoke through the Holy Spirit.
Then the facilitator explained to the group how God speaks to us today through four primary ways:
- God speaks today through His word.
- God speak through the Holy Spirit.
- God speaks through others.
- God speaks through circumstances.
Additionally, the group discussed that we hear three different voices, and we should be careful to pay attention to the voice we hear and respond accordingly.
- We hear God's voice.
- We hear Satan's voice.
- We hear our own voice.
When we have a deep personal relationship with God, we know His voice. God will never tell us to do something that goes against His word; however, Satan's voice will. Our voice usually tells us something to do that we already want to do, and we might think it's God's voice.
God speaks to us throughout the day. The fallacy lies in the fact that we are too busy to hear when He speaks. Let's rid ourselves of some of the busyness and hear God when He speaks.
Next week's lesson is "Spiritual Maturity: Eating Solid Food"