At the beginning of the lesson, two volunteers participated in a skit centered around evangelism. Sara was excited to tell her friend, Rosa, about meeting someone new. Rosa immediately thought it was a new boyfriend until Sara related that she had just met Jesus. Rosa was surprised that Sara didn't know Jesus before. Sara questioned Rosa about not telling her about Jesus if she already knew him. Sara said, "Rosa, you were going to let me die and go to hell without knowing Jesus." Rosa apologized and admitted she should have told her friend about Jesus and not have assumed that she already knew.
The participants in the Bible Study discussed the implications from the skit. These are some of the things they pointed out:
- Rosa and Sara were close friends. How could Rosa not know Sara didn't know about Jesus?
- Sara and Rosa were close friends. How could Sara not see something about Rosa to indicate that she knew Jesus?
- Apparently, Rosa wasn't bearing fruit to indicate she knew Jesus.
- Rosa probably assumed Sara knew about Jesus before.
- Rosa hadn't talked to Sara about Jesus. One would think if they were friends, the subject of Jesus should have come up in some of the conversations.
The rest of the time, the participants discussed evangelism styles and "The Great Commission." Before Jesus' ascension, He instructed His disciples to go into all the world and share the good news of the saving power of Jesus Christ.
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. (Matthew 28:18-20)
The lesson ended with students saying they would be more mindful to follow the commandment to evangelize according to the above verses that tell us that because of the power that Jesus has, we should go into all the world and make disciples by teaching them and baptizing them and sharing with them the things Jesus has taught.
This concludes this second series of "Seeking Him." However, a new series will start after the holidays on Jan. 9, 2014. The summary of each lesson will continue to be posted on this site.