Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Second quarterfinal ends in overtime just like the first, with OSU 2-1 win

Ohio State defeats Michigan State 2-1 in OT
Ohio State defeats Michigan State 2-1 in OT
Big Ten Conference

Michigan State and Ohio State met in the second quarterfinal game on Thursday at the Big Ten Tournament in St. Paul, MN and after the first semifinal with PSU-Michigan, more offense was expected.

Michael Ferrantino put the first shot on goal for the Michigan State Spartans in the first ninety seconds of the game, and judging by the one hundred and eighteen shots that Penn State and Michigan put on the net in their game, shooting was at a premium in the nightcap. Through four minutes, MSU had the shooting edge by a 3-0 count.

At 4:04, Michigan State’s Greg Wolfe scored on even strength with an assist from Lee Reimer to put the Spartans on the board first.

There were no penalties in the first eight minutes, which contributed to the pace of play being as high-tempo as it was. At 9:31, that’d change, as Michigan State’s Greg Wolfe would take a hooking penalty that gave Ohio State the game’s first power play.

Shots were 5-2 in MSU’s favor in the first twelve minutes of play, but for a one-goal game, it had flow to it. Michigan State’s John Draeger would commit the second infraction of the game, for interference at 14:34, and Ohio State would go on the second power play of the game. The Buckeye power play would go up in smoke despite OSU having four shots late in the opening twenty.

After twenty minutes, MSU was up 1-0 and shots favored Michigan State 8-7.

To put it mildly, not much in the way of hockey happened in the second period. At 1:55 of the second, Michigan State’s first power play was earned when OSU’s Justin DaSilva was booked for a tripping minor. The Spartans were unable to score on the advantage, and as the clock counted the first half of the period down, the game felt more like a game of Pong than it did hockey with teams playing in the other’s defensive zone.

Ohio State’s Tanner Fritz tied the game at one with his even strength goal at 16:26 of the second period. Anthony Greco and Curtis Gedig assisted Fritz on the marker. As the second period came to an end, shots were 19-17 OSU and the game was tied at one.

Michigan State’s Brock Krygier was called for holding at 5:57 of the third period, giving Ohio State their third power play of the game. The Buckeyes couldn’t take advantage, however, and the game was tied at one with eleven minutes left to play.

Shots were 26-22 in Ohio State’s favor as six minutes remained, and that count was overall. At the 14:24 mark, Michigan State’s Matt Berry was assessed a minor for charging that gave Ohio State a fourth chance on the man advantage. The power play would go to the sharks for the Buckeyes, and the game was still tied with over three and change left.

Curtis Gedig would send Ohio State to the box for a high sticking minor at 17:46, giving Michigan State only their second man advantage of the game. Shots after sixty minutes favored OSU 28-25.

In overtime, Ohio State’s Drew Brevig would score for the victory at 4:23 of overtime. The final shots on goal favored OSU 34-27. Michigan State went 0-2 and Ohio State went 0-4 on the power play.

Ohio State plays Minnesota at 7pm on Friday night in the second Big Ten semifinal.

Geoff Discher is's National College Hockey Examiner as well as the Minnesota Golden Gophers Hockey Examiner. Leave a comment below, or feel free to reach him at with comments, story ideas, or any general talk surrounding college hockey. You can find him on Facebook as well by clicking here and here, joining the conversation from the social media side as well. He's always chock full of fact and opinion.

Until next time, I’ll see you at the rink!

Report this ad