The Revolution have three wins and one tie in their last four games. The Revolution is in a four-way tie for top spot in the Eastern Conference with Sporting Kansas City, the New York Red Bulls, and Houston Dynamo.
Seattle Sounders FC roll into Gillette Stadium with a five game win streak and a league best 22 goals scored.
Seattle Sounders FC run and gun offense will be tested by the Revolutions clogged midfield that can defend and create scoring chances through its intricate passes.
“ They have a lot of midfielders in the middle of the pitch giving them creative options and Lee Nguyen is having a great year for them, “said Seattle Sounders FC Coach Sigi Schmid.
Nguyen has four of his team’s nine goals and two of those goals have been game winners.
Nguyen’s cohorts in the New England Revolution midfield include, Teal Bunbury, Daigo Kobayash, Andy Dorman and Diego Fagundez.
The lone striker up front for Revolution is Lee Mullins.
Seattle Sounders FC ‘s mode of attack is vastly different from that of the Revolution.
The Sounders FC high-octane offense attacks from the wide areas creating seams and pockets for the likes of Clint Dempsey (8 goals), Obefami Martins (6assists) and other players like Lamar Neagle.
“No matter what I’m going to make good runs and Oba finds everybody,” Neagle said. “That’s what happened with Kenny, that’s what happened with me. We have confidence in our guys’ passing, especially [Martins and Clint Dempsey]. I know if I just make good runs, they are going to find me.”
Martins has 3 goals and 2 assists over the last 4 games, he has a goal and/or an assist in eight of the last nine Sounders FC matches.
Sunday’s game will be home coming of sorts for Seattle Sounders FC Clint Dempsey.
Dempsey began his MLS career in New England with the Revolution in 2004 and spent three years with the Revs, from 2004 through 2006.
Dempsey made 71 appearances (70 starts), scored 25 goals and had 14 assists on his way to 2004 MLS rookie of the year and 2005 and 2006 MLS Best XI honors before transferring to Fulham FC (England) in January 2007.
• The teams have split the eight previous meetings between them, 3-3-2
• In six of the teams’ eight meetings, the clubs have combined to score at least three goals
• This is the only league meeting between the teams this season.
• The Revolution last won in the series in 2010, a 3-1 win at Gillette Stadium. In four meetings since, Sounders FC have won twice, both during 2011.
• The teams have played to draws in each of the last two seasons, including a scoreless result last April 13 at Century Link Field.
• Jay Heaps vs. SEA: P2 W0 L0 D2 ... Sigi Schmid vs. NE: P31 W13 L11 D7