Need some last minute help with gift buying? Today’s article is designed to help you. Compiled from suggestions by bike shops across Seattle, this list just might have something to solve your quandary. Gift suggestions range from $25 to $100. Gift ideas are listed by shops which are in alphabetical order and identified by neighborhoods. Though each shop offered many ideas, some of which were mentioned over and over, each highlighted one idea in particular.
Alki Bike & Board (West Seattle)
Stu Hennesey spent some time talking about Holiday gift buying at Alki Bike and Board. His primary emphasis for gift-buying was safety. Gifts he recommended included:
- Hi-vis jackets
- LED reflective vests
- GoPro helmet cams (note that these are beyond the recommended $100 limit) are often used to document traffic situations by bicyclists.
Alpine Hut (Interbay/Magnolia)
Jim Finkle buyer for owner Kyle Fisher pointed out a number of items suitable for gift buying.
- Serfas lights - USB re-chargeable
- C02 inflators with 2 canisters $20
- Delta handlebar mount cell phone holder - adjustable to accommodate a range of sizes.
- Thunderbolt head and rear lights feature a snap on silicon band which eliminates the need for a permanent handlebar mount.
At BikeSport, Mike Turmenne immediately identified unicycles as the best Christmas gift available in the shop because of they are used at Adams Elementary School and other area schools.
On display was a creation selection of Park Tools special gift ideas which included a bike pizza cutter, pint glasses and sporks.
Cycle University (West Seattle)
Like several shops, Cycle U’s Reinout Schoolderman, listed
- Jackets and winter gloves for year round riders
- Lights for every rider, many easily mounted
- *Tune-up" - typical $80, but up-gradeable, with currently Holiday sale, gifters can get more for less, ex., a $60.00 tune-up now gets what you might have to pay $80 at another time.
Dutch Bicycle Co. (Ballard)
Several unusual gifts were uncovered at Ballard’s Dutch Bicycle Company.
- Bern Helmets $80-85
- Leather bar grips (Whiskey Grips) $59.95
- Cup holders ($19.95) by Portland Design Works
- “Bike Cap” seat covers
- Bicycle handlebar bells, novelty designs such as coffee cups and tea pots
Didn't see what you're looking for? More shops with their suggestions will soon be posted.