If you're planning a vacation to the beach this summer make sure to pack an extra bag for the seashells you and your family collects. Then the question is, "What do you do with all those shells when you get home?" Here are a few fun craft and decor ideas from magazines and blogs to help you make items with sea shells that will remind you of the good memories of your vacation.
- Martha Stewart has many ideas including animal figurines, candles, soap dishes, bookends, mirrors and frames.
- Better Homes and Gardens has easy crafts like beach-themed flower holders, beach memory jars, treasure boxes, hanging wall art, shelled wreaths, concrete stepping stones, drawer pulls, shell decorated lampshades, and shell garland.
- Southern Living has the creative idea of a movable beach, a 3-d beach frame and wind chimes.
- Coast Magazine tells you about seashell napkin holders, sand casting, the everlasting sand sculpture, clamshell gardens and sand footprints.
- For children, Spoonful has many mentioned already, as well as a sea shell planter, sensory shell craft for kids, sea shell shadow box, sea shell wall art, sea shell necklace, clam shell butterflies, sea shell fish with googly eyes and a sand-casted starfish.
- Apartment Therapy has interesting ideas for decorating with seashells and drift wood, such as filling an old fireplace hearth with candles and seashells.
Planning ahead with your crafts is a good idea as you may want to bring home other treasures from the beach such as sand, driftwood, and beach glass. If you make annual trips to the beach consider doing a different project each year and dedicating a room with the beach theme, such as the guest room or the family room. It will bring the relaxed and peaceful feeling of vacation to your favorite spots in your house to remind you and your family of the good times you had this summer.