Seven home matches to be held at Valley View Casino Center July 7 to 23.
Professional team tennis returns to San Diego on Monday, July 7 when the San Diego Aviators of Mylan World Team Tennis kick off its inaugural season at the Valley View Casino Center, formerly the San Diego Sports Arena.
In an action-packed, three week season, the Aviators are led by a lineup of top professional tennis champions, including four-time Grand Slam champion, Daniela Hantuchova; WTA doubles No. 7, Kveta Peschke; India’s No. 1-ranked singles player, Somdev Devvarman; ATP doubles No. 25, Raven Klaasen; and the greatest doubles pair in the history of tennis, Mike and Bob Bryan, joins the team in the final three matches.
The team was purchased by San Diego businessman, Russell Geyser, resulting in the return of Mylan World Team Tennis for the first time since the mid-1980s.
“San Diego is a fantastic tennis city and now with the Aviators we are the only venue in Southern California offering live, professional tennis,” said Geyser.
Co-founded by Billie Jean King, Mylan WTT features the best in professional team tennis competition. For nearly four decades, the league has been an innovator in the sport, introducing a number of fan-friendly initiatives – playing let serves, timeouts, men and women playing equal roles on a team, substitutions, instant replay, on-court coaching, music between points, names on back of players shirts, letting fans keep balls that are hit into the stands and multi-colored courts.
The Aviators will play 14 regular season matches, seven at home and seven on the road. San Diego is in the Western Conference along with the Austin Aces, Texas Wild and Springfield Lasers. The Eastern Conference includes the 2013 Mylan WTT Champion Washington Kastles, Philadelphia Freedoms and Boston Lobsters. The top two teams in each conference advance to the Conference Championships on July 24. The two conference champions face off on July 27 on the home court of the Western Conference Champion to battle for the King Trophy.
Home Match Dates and Scheduled Appearances:
- July 7, 7p.m.: home-opener versus Austin Aces featuring former world No. 1, Andy Roddick
- July 8, 7 p.m.: versus Philadelphia Freedoms with half-time presentation honoring Mylan WTT co-founder and sports icon Billie Jean King
- July 10, 7 p.m.: versus Texas Wild
- July 12, 7 p.m.: versus Boston Lobsters. Pre-match event includes a 10 & Under Play Day sponsored by USTA.
- July 20, 5 p.m.: versus Springfield Lasers. Featuring first home match for the Bryan Brothers
- July 22, 7 p.m.: versus Texas Wild. Featuring the Bryan Brothers and national anthem performance by American Idol season seven top ten finalist Michael Johns
- July 23, 7 p.m.: final home match versus the Austin Aces. Featuring the Bryan Brothers
Away Matches and League Marquee Players:
- July 9 at Cedar Park Center versus Austin Aces, featuring Andy Roddick and Marion Bartoli
- July 13 at Four Seasons Resort and Club versus Texas Wild
- July 14 at Kastles Stadium at Smith Center versus Washington Kastles, featuring Martina Hingis
- July 15 at the Pavilion at Villanova University versus Philadelphia Freedoms, featuring Victoria Azarenka
- July 16 at Boston Lobsters Tennis Center at the Manchester Athletic Club versus the Boston Lobsters
- July 17 at Mediacom Stadium at Cooper Tennis Complex versus Springfield Lasers
- July 19 at Cedar Park Center versus Austin Aces, featuring Andy Roddick and Marion Bartoli
About Mylan WTT
Mylan World TeamTennis showcases the best in professional team tennis competing for the King Trophy, the league’s championship trophy, which is named after co-founder Billie Jean King. The 39th season of Mylan WTT runs July 6-27, 2014. For more information on Mylan WTT, visit www.WTT.com.