Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Scorpions end preseason undefeated

Scorpions players celebrate their goal
Scorpions players celebrate their goal
San Antonio Scorpions

The San Antonio Scorpions have managed an undefeated pre-season as they recorded a 1-1 draw against Costa Rican giants, Saprissa, at Toyota Field on Saturday night.

The Scorpions put in an impressive performance against a tidy Saprissa team who came out the better side, but eventually ceded possession to the hosts.

Despite Saprissa starting well, the Scorpions had their first look in the 27th minute, and it was a convincing one at that, as Danny Barrera found Adrian Cann in the middle of the box, only for him to head it right at the keeper.

Cann turned villain in the 29th minute as he gave away a penalty, which allowed Ulises Segura to step up and hit the penalty, sending David Bingham the wrong way and giving Saprissa the lead.

Four minutes later the Scorpions could well have drawn level as Jonathan Borrajo sent a cross in to the box that Tomasz Zahorski headed but somehow missed from point-blank.

Both sides continued to press in the final ten minutes of the half, but neither side was able to find a goal, keeping Saprissa in front at the break 1-0.

The second half started sluggishly as a number of changes from both teams meant that each side found it difficult to get going with their newer sides in the early going.

But after the hour mark the Scorpions started to show that they were the stronger side, and after introducing Eric Hassli in the 64th minute firmly took control.

Hassli would produce a solid chance for the Scorpions, just after coming on as he sent Walter Restrepo through with a back-heel but the signing from Fort Lauderdale couldn’t finish the chance.

A corner allowed the Scorpions a great opportunity in the 71st minute as the ball fell to Julius James but his header went right to the keeper.

The Scorpions didn’t have to wait too long for an equalizer though, as another Barrera corner found Greg Janicki who was able to beat the keeper with his header.

Both sides tried during the final 20 minutes but neither side could find the late goal they needed as the match ended 1-1.

For all the latest San Antonio Soccer news please subscribe and follow the writer on twitter.

Report this ad