How did you celebrate the 2014 Summer Solstice? Whether you enjoyed the first day of summer with a bonfire on the beach or a BBQ in your backyard, the Summer Solstice marks the beginning of a glorious time of year in California...and the perfect season to create the ultimate “staycation” experience in your own backyard with the expert “outdoor living” home design tips you’ll score with the California Living™ TV video clip above, and the “outdoor room” home design elements outlined on this page.
"Staycation" is a fun word rather new to enter the common vernacular, which according to Oxford Dictionaries is defined as: "A vacation spent in one’s home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions." So go ahead, plan a fun staycation to experience the “local flavor” of your hometown and surrounding areas from a tourists’ perspective. To make the most of your staycation, consider the new outdoor living room and spaces you create as your “home base” to return to after venturing out on some pre-planned local Bay Area daytrips. Be adventurous. When it comes to planning the ultimate staycation, your only limitation is your imagination. Below are a few tips to make the most of your local ‘staycation” getaway:
- Plan ahead. Line up some local Bay Area events and purchase tickets in advance.
- Make your indoor kitchen a “no enter zone” and hit up your local farmers’ markets to score some fresh, local meats and veggies to cook up on your outdoor grill for some healthy & delicious alfresco dining.
- Relax. Ahead of time, schedule in some “me time” to help you unwind, unplug...and do whatever it takes to relax and get you into the "vacation mindset" so you can truly let go...and have a great time.
For the inside look at the “must have” home design elements to keep in mind when creating your new “outdoor room,” watch the short clip on this page from one of California Living's 2014 Home Design TV specials this season, and read on to discover how easy and fun it will be to create the ultimate outdoor living experience for your Summer 2014 “staycation:”
California Living’s key home design elements to keep in mind when creating your “outdoor room:”
1. Comfortable, Quality Outdoor Furniture: When selecting your outdoor furniture, be sure to try it out before buying it. Go ahead and sit on it, lay on it, etc. in the showroom. The ideal outdoor furniture will not only be stylish – it will also be outdoor furnishings you will want to sit on and relax in for hours at a time.
2. Element of Fire: Adding the element of fire will add warmth and that homey feel – opt for a fire pit, an outdoor fireplace, or even candles – which can add the element of warmth you are looking to add to your outdoor space.
3. Outdoor Carpet: An outdoor carpet will define the space and give your outdoor space that “roomy” effect you are aiming to create.
4. Shade: Due to California’s hot, sunny climate, one of the most important design elements to create is shade, which can be accomplished with a pergola, a canopy, or an umbrella.
There you have it, pull these outdoor living elements together for your next "staycation,” and you’ll also be creating an outdoor space you will enjoy for years to come. The onset of the Summer Solstice is also the perfect time to start thinking about revamping your diet, eating lighter for summer and cooking healthier with all the great, fresh local produce in season. Click here for the inside look at how to make the healthy BBQ Pizza Recipe featured in California Living’s “outdoor living” video segment on this page.
Here’s to what the Summer Solstice will inspire in you and to creating the ultimate outdoor experience in your own backyard for a stellar "staycation” this summer.