See also:

School reform must impact black males or it isn't school reform

Lt Col Lemuel Penn, AUS
Lt Col Lemuel Penn, AUS
U.S. Army

Comments

Thanks Ed for your columns. I enjoy reading them and always seem to agree. As a former CPS teacher and administrator (retired), domr of my most rewarding years were spent on the west side at Austin. Boy, that was hard work but for those of us who could handle it, particularly the discipline, those kids were terrific! Yes, black kids can learn, they are smart and they understand high expectations when their teacher(s) make it clear.

Keep up your great articles. Also, why isn't anyone teaching the newbie teachers class-room discipline? Could it be that college professors are way too far from the class-room?

• Profile picture of Edward Hayes
    Edward Hayes 4 years ago

I am familiar with Austin H.S., indeed I hooked up with the principal there (Katherine Flannigan if I remember correctly) to show my boss how Direct Instruction worked before I installed it in the Freshman Academy at East Aurora H.S. I did my grad work at CSU and we never talked discipline. Then I worked on my doctorate at U of Ill (C-U) and it never came up. Yeah, those kids will drain you; but it is God's work; too bad you (and I) had to retire. Here's to us, and those like us; there is damn few of us left. Ed

Unfortunately, teaching teachers how to discipline has totally taken a back seat to 'making kids feel good about themselves' no matter how they perform or how they act. Schools are going the way of government in this country - down the toilet.
    Remember when civil paddling was allowed and kids behaved?
    Name withheld, as only a teacher who taugh 'old school' and now would understand.

• Profile picture of Edward Hayes
    Edward Hayes 4 years ago

I have to agree with you that public schools were used as laboratories for social and academic experiments like self-esteem and whole language that wasted time, resources, and young lives while adults fiddled around with leftist ideology. Furthermore the democrat party monopoly of the NEA and AFT unions solidifies a socialist mentality within the education industry that defies the traditional American values that built the world's greatest country. Note that I wrote GREATEST, not most perfect. Ed

• Sub of the Universe 4 years ago

Discipline is discouraged because if the discipline incidents don't reflect parity with the demographics of the school population than the one who issued the discipline is liable to be declared racially insensitive.

I sbstitute teach and get along with all groups weel. But never do I have 100% of the white kids failing to be on task. If you try to be too rigid in your expectations with some it will result in a altercation.

• Sheldon L. McCormick 4 years ago

Lemuel Penn was a hero to me. He fought World War II in the Pacific, despite a racist America, then fought to educate black kids, all kids as a teacher then as Director of Adult Vocation for the District of Columbia. His achievements, concern and efforts was as much a part of the Civil Rights movement as marching and carrying a picket sign. Many blacks went on to higher education and achievements in various fields because of Colonel Penn's inspiration. One black guy even became President of the United States. African-American gains, rights and freedom were made possible through people like Lemuel Penn. To him and them, I say thank you.

• Ed Hayes 4 years ago

Thank you Sheldon. I agree, there were multiple methods used to bring down Jim Crow. Now that the old lines have been erased, I look forward to the day that we eliminate the self-imposed constraints on our people.