Today’s recipe feature is Scallops with Watercress, Orange and Miso Vinaigrette. This salad is a delightful blend of sweet and savory and with just the right amount of grated ginger, mixing with the freshly ground black pepper, the dish has a mild peppery kick. To ensure this meal is perfect, be sure to cook the scallops in batches. Healthy and joyous eating!
Scallops with Watercress, Orange and Miso Vinaigrette (Recipe courtesy Dawn Yanagihara-Mitchell)
- 2 ½ Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tbs. white miso
- 1 ½ Tbs. seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
- 2 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ lb. sea scallops, patted dry, side muscles removed
- 2 tsp. peanut or canola oil
- 1 large bunch watercress, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
- 1 large orange, segmented, each segment halved crosswise
- 3 scallions (dark green parts only), sliced on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
In a blender, purée 2 Tbs. of the sesame seeds, the miso, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, a pinch of salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper, and 3 Tbs. water until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pat the scallops dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat the peanut oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Working in batches, add the scallops in a single layer and cook until well browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the second side and just firm to the touch, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Divide the watercress among 4 plates and then nestle the scallops into it. Spoon 1-1/2 to 2 Tbs. dressing over each salad and arrange the orange segments on the plates. Top with the scallions, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 Tbs. sesame seeds, and serve. Yield = four servings.
Nutrition information (per serving):
Calories (kcal): 200; Fat (g): 6; Fat Calories (kcal): 60; Saturated Fat (g): 1; Protein (g): 23; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 2.5; Carbohydrates (g): 14; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 2.5; Sodium (mg): 1200; Cholesterol (mg): 40; Fiber (g): 2