Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

SC woman faces multiple charges after leaving kids in vehicle at Greer Wal-Mart

Audrey Atkinson arrested for leaving kids in vehicle
Audrey Atkinson arrested for leaving kids in vehicle
Spartanburg County Detention Center

An upstate woman who left her two toddler's alone in a vehicle is now facing multiple charges, Fox Carolina reported April 22.

Greer police were called to the Greer Wal-Mart on East Wade Hampton Boulevard around 10:40 p.m. Sunday night. A shopper notified police after seeing the two children alone in an unlocked vehicle, and one of the children was screaming.

Despite the windows being rolled up, screams were loud enough for the responding officer to hear the child as he approached the vehicle.

When the officer arrived, he found the boy screaming and the girl unconscious. According to a police report, both children had soiled their clothing and were filthy. The two toddler's were in car seats in the back seat. A bag of meth, needles and other drug paraphernalia, as well as an open container of alcohol were found in the front seat.

Paramedics were called to check on the young girl, who was having problems breathing.

Audrey Atkinson, 37, returned to the vehicle with a cart full of merchandise. Police estimated Atkinson had left her children alone for more than half an hour, returning to the vehicle shortly before 11:00 p.m.

After finding merchandise in Atkinson's purse, it was discovered through surveillance footage that the mother had stolen several items from Wal-Mart.

Atkinson was charged with unlawful conduct towards a child, shoplifting, possession of drug paraphernalia and additional drug charges are pending, should a drug test come back positive.

Responding officer's recognized Atkinson from past incidents where she has been in trouble with the police as a chronic drug user. Atkinson admitted to using meth, as well as leaving her children alone in the vehicle.

According to WYFF4, Social Services was called, and the children were placed in protective custody. They were later released to their father. Atkinson was taken to the Spartanburg County Detention Center, where she remains Tuesday night.

Report this ad