The Bridge Theater in San Francisco's Richmond District was built in 1939 in honor of the Golden Gate Bridge that opened in May 1937. Note the the building's stepped tower that resembles features on the Golden Gate. The "Bridge" sign is also painted in International Orange, the color of the famous suspension bridge.
Nowadays we will have to be content with multiplexes since the economic cost of digitalizing single screen theater landmarks is $70,000.
Other famous theaters that have closed in the Richmond district are the Coronet on Geary Blvd (now a senior service facility), the Coliseum on Clement St (now a Walgreens and 14 condos) and the Alexandria on Geary Blvd, with future plans for restoration of some kind. Only the Balboa Theater on Balboa St and 4-Star Theaters on Clement St. remain. There were several more theaters in the Richmond that closed in the past.
The "Bridge" was operated by Landmark Theatres in San Francisco. Landmark operates 229 screens in 52 theaters in 29 markets. Ted Mundorff, CEO of Landmark Theatres commented on the closing of the cultural icon:
"The day has come where single-screen theaters just cannot stay in business financially. They have closed all over the country", said Mundorff.
Former "Bridge" manager Joshua Grannell, otherwise known as "Peaches Christ" held
“Midnight Mass” at the Bridge for many years. On closing night December 27, Grannell gave a moving speech in honor of the beloved neighborhood theater.
The marquee of 'The Bridge' now reads "Thanks for the popcorn". It had real butter.