Ah, grilled cheese. When it comes to comfort food, it seems there are few ways to improve on the classic, but this recipe for savory french toast grilled cheese, inspired by and adapted from Wisconsin Cheese Talk, at least makes a decent change when you're in the mood for something different.
On top of that, it's simple to make and easy to adapt to your liking. This recipe makes 2 grilled cheeses.
- 1/4 cup milk (or almond/soy milk)
- 1 egg
- 2-3 dashes of coarse salt, to taste
- 2-3 dashes black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/3 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-2 dashes paprika (or cayenne pepper), to taste
- 4 slices bread of choice (that pictured uses oatmeal bread)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter/margarine
- 4 ounces grated cheese of choice (approx 1/2 cup, that pictured uses sharp cheddar)
In a medium bowl wide enough to dip your bread, beat together milk, egg, and spices. Set aside.
Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
Take a slice of bread and dip into the egg mixture, lightly coating both sides. Place one side down in the buttered skillet. Repeat, immediately, with remaining three slices. Do NOT add cheese yet.
Once the bread has browned lightly on the first side, flip two of the slices over and top each with 1/2 of the cheese.
Next, cover each with one of the remaining slices of bread, browned side facing down towards the cheese so that the uncooked egg-covered side is face up.
Allow bread to brown and flip once more, to brown the remaining side of the bread. Cook until cheese is melted and bread is browned and egg mixture is no longer runny.
Serve up and enjoy!