** Savoring the Southwest is a new cooking/food column from internationally acclaimed chef and bestselling cookbook author, Larry Edwards. In this Examiner exclusive series, the chef will take you through the wonders of Southwest cooking and food. Along with each of the dishes the chef will present, there will also be a how-to slideshow. Learn the art of Southwest cooking and enjoy every delicious bite! **
If you have ever ventured into the great American Southwest, you might have come across a very spiritual little town in Arizona called Sedona. There are a lot of tales about the mysticism surrounding Sedona but one thing which is not a tale is the fact it is truly one of the Southwest's shining jewels.
At Casa de Cuisine, we named this dish Sedona Skewered Chicken after Sedona, Arizona due to the fact the flavors are quite magical, yet will not over-power you. It is a rather quick dish to prepare and very simple. The only special item you will need are some bamboo skewers. A safety note when using bamboo skewers: Soak them in cold water at least 30 minutes before you place them on the grill or grill pan. You want them to be soaked so they don't catch on fire due to the intense heat.
For this particular chicken dish, we recommend using chicken thigh meat. It is much tastier than the bland and boring breast meat and takes to a marinade better than any other part of the bird.
Ingredients needed to make Sedona Skewered Chicken (serves 2):
- 2 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. chipotle hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 bamboo skewers
- Slice you chicken thigh meat into strips. Not too thin as the meat is going to be skewered and grilled.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, cumin, chili powder and garlic.
- Place the chicken into the marinade and let marinate at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat your grill or grill pan.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and carefully skewer the chicken. Leave some space between the pieces of meat for even cooking.
- Brush the grill or grill pan with some peanut oil.
- Carefully place the skewered chicken onto the grill or grill pan and grill 5 minutes per side (or to desired doneness).
- Remove the chicken to serving plates and enjoy.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."