Before a recent flight from Brussels, I was told to hand over my pocketbook and my carry-on bag for weighing in. I balked. After all, I had learned from my dad how to avoid checked luggage overweight fees by putting the heavy stuff in bags I was shlepping around myself. The airline counter staff woman insisted. She told me that "the rest of the world" would following suit soon. Eek! The weight limits for carry-ons on airlines that have strict restrictions are low, too. I have some suitcases that take up at least a quarter of the allowance empty! What to do? Fortunately, there's the Travelpro Maxlite3 line. I was very happy to be hosted to experience it.
In the past, when different companies would put out light luggage lines,. there was always a severe compromise with that other crucial quality --durability. This line has a lifetime warranty, so that worry's out the window! This line is considered the favorite of professional flight crews.
Also, weight-wise, there are always going to be times when you have to actually lift the luggage, though this line has fantastic spinner wheels. Many European and Middle Eastern accommodations don't have ramps to roll your luggage. You want the weight to be controllable by the load you pack.
Though they have some models that are even more paired down -- called "international" -- I've been doing well with the 21" Expandable Spinner. If airlines get even weirder about measurements in the future, I may have to get into the International models. The cases come in black or a beautiful Cobalt blue. There's a little mesh pocket inside for keeping small/delicate things safe. Here's what they say about it:
21" Expandable Spinner
L9" x W14" x H21"
• New patented Contour Grip design with rubberized touch points specifically engineered for spinner model use
• A unique bottom tray aligns and stabilizes wheels for effortless maneuverability and enhanced durability
• Polyester fabric with water and stain resistant coating
• Airline-grade aluminum handle locks in 2 positions (38” and 42.5”)
• 4-wheel spinners rotate 360°
• Tapered expansion capability of up to 2”
• Unobtrusive top, side and bottom cushioned carry handles
• Full length interior lid pocket
• Side accessory pocket
• Adjustable hold down straps
• Limited Lifetime Warranty