On days when it is just too hot or raining too hard outdoors you can still enjoy that barbecue flavor indoors. Instead of presenting your hamburgers in a patty shape lets serve them up similar to that of a sloppy joe sandwich with a whole different taste, texture and mix of ingredients. This mixture of mushrooms, tomatoes, onion and spices will make everyone forget they aren’t out on the patio enjoying a traditional grilled burger.
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 2 small onions, diced
- ½ cup of celery, chopped fine
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- ¼ cup of tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of tapioca
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- In a large frying pan on the stove, heat the oil.
- Once the oil is warmed add in the hamburger meat, onions and celery.
- Cook over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Now add the remaining ingredients and stir into the ground beef.
- Cover the pan and cook on low to simmer until the mixture is cooked through and thickens nicely.
- Remove from stove and spoon over hamburger buns and serve.
- In lieu of a traditional hamburger bun one can try a hoagie roll, a bagel or even a sliced Krispy Kreme donut.
- If fresh mushrooms are not available use sliced canned mushrooms equal to 8 ounces
- You can also use 2 tablespoons of either shortening and tapioca instead of the oil that will work together to melt the juices from the beef and other ingredients to thicken the dish so it serves up similar to sloppy Joe sandwiches.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved