A Sarasota foursome currently holds down the top position in the four-player team event of the Florida Women's State Bowling Association's annual championship tournament, being conducted in Fort Myers.
Alicia Freuhwald, Darlene Bonds, Alison Forgeur and Marlene Fisher were members of the All Bright Windows team that took the first-weekend lead with a handicap score of 2,836, a full 99 pins ahead of the runner-up total of 2,737 by Fab Four of West Palm Beach.
Two other area teams are listed on the Top 10 leaderboard: Misfits of Englewood, third at 2,729, and Manatee Mamas, ninth at 2,681.
With the team event being contested at Bowland Cape Coral and singles-doubles at Pin Street Fort Myers, the tournament lanes will be idle this weekend, because of Mother's Day, but the action will resume next weekend (May 17-28) and continue through the weekend of June 7-8.
Sharon Comito of Coconut Creek was the top individual performer in opening-weekend action. She holds the scratch all-events lead with a nine-game pinfall of 1,879, and she teamed with Renae Hall for the top position in handicap doubles with 1,476. In addition, the Comito-Hall duo is current runner-up in scratch doubles (1,290), and Comito is third in scratch singles (608).
Samantha McCue of Fort Myers sets the pace in handicap all-events with 2,186, while Leane Damminger of St. Augustine (854) and Stephanie Favors of Stuart (627) are the respective handicap and scratch singles leaders. The other leaders are Lucille's BBQ of Coconut Creek (2,092 in scratch team), and Veronika Tucker and Tanya Henry (1,300 in scratch doubles).
Among entrants from the Sarasota-Manatee-Charlotte County area, Rochelle Banks of Sarasota had the top individual performance, currently standing in the No. 3 spot in handicap singles with 764.
Three area women are also among the Top 20 in handicap singles: Pat Peters of Arcadia (eighth at 734), Denise McCarthy of Punta Gorda (15th at 712), and Linda Mainzer of Punta Gorda (tied for 18th at 710). In handicap doubles, Brenda and Nicole Wright of Bradenton are 14th at 1,384, and Banks and Gabriella Barone of Parrish are 18th at 1,370.
The top three in each of the tournament's eight event categories after the first weekend:
- HANDICAP TEAM: 1, All Bright Windows (Sarasota) 2,836; 2, Fab Four (West Palm Beach) 2,737; 3, Misfits (Englewood) 2,729.
- SCRATCH TEAM: 1, Lucille's BBQ (Coconut Creek) 2,092; 2, The Whinos (Coconut Creek) 2,051; 3, The Hackers (Coconut Creek) 1,867.
- HANDICAP DOUBLES: 1, Renae Hall and Sharon Comito (Coconut Creek) 1,476; 2, Helen Leon and LaQuita Extine (Tallahassee) 1,461; 2, Stacey Loar and Jillian Boehme (Coconut Creek) 1,447.
- SCRATCH DOUBLES: 1, Veronika Tucker and Tanya Henry (Tampa) 1,300; 2, Renae Hall and Sharon Comito (Coconut Creek) 1,290; 3, Melanie Ortega and Heidi Williams (Naples) 1,112.
- HANDICAP SINGLES: 1, Leanne Damminger (St. Augustine) 854; 2, Heidi Dean (Holiday) 792; 3, Rochelle Banks (Sarasota) 764.
- SCRATCH SINGLES: 1, Stephanie Favors (Stuart) 627; 2, Florian Caponis (Orange Park) 610; 3, Sharon Comito (Coconut Creek) 608.
- HANDICAP ALL-EVENTS: 1, Samantha McCue (Fort Myers) 2,186; 2, Erin Rinderle (Lakeland) 2,172; 3, Stacey Loar (Coconut Creek) 2,164.
- SCRATCH ALL-EVENTS: 1, Sharon Comito (Coconut Creek) 1,879; 2, Stephanie Favors (Stuart) 1,738; 3, Nancy Sturgis (Coconut Creek) 1,713.
To view the complete, up-to-date tournament leaderboard, click here.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]