As the fourth weekend of action is under way in the Florida Women's State Bowling Association's annual championship tournament in Fort Myers, two entries representing the Sarasota-Manatee County area remain atop the leaderboard.
Ashley Barnes and Peggy Parker continue to lead the handicap doubles competition with a pinfall of 1,479, and All Bright Windows -- a Sarasota foursome consisting of Alicia Freuhwald, Darlene Bonds, Alison Forgeur and Marlene Fisher -- maintains the top position in the handicap team standings with a score of 2,836.
Meanwhile, Melissa Ramirez of Davie made the biggest headlines last weekend, as she took over the No. 1 position in three events. She now leads in scratch all-events with a nine-game score of 1,981, and her total of 658 puts her ahead in scratch singles. In addition, she teamed with Shaye Vasturo for the leading score of 1,329 in scratch doubles.
The only other lead change in Week 3 was in scratch team competition, where DAPP Embroidery of Altamonte Springs posted a 2,322 total to ascend to No. 1. Continuing to maintain their tournament advantage were Leanne Damminger of St. Augustine, with 854 in handicap singles, and Samantha McCue of Fort Myers, with 2,186 in handicap all-events.
Among other area individual entrants, Rochelle Banks of Parrish is in third place in handicap singles with 764, while Dolores Meyers and Heatherly Faulkner, both of Venice, also are listed among the Top 10.
Meyers is tied for sixth in scratch singles (620) and tied for ninth in scratch all-events (1,763), in addition to holding the No. 16 spot in scratch doubles with Cinderella Weber (1,080). Faulkner paired with Yvonne Pippin for eighth place in scratch doubles (1,162) and 15th in handicap doubles (1,402), and she is also 19th in scratch all-events (1,726) and 22nd in scratch singles (557).
The top three in each of the tournament's eight event categories after the third weekend, plus any Sarasota-Manatee-Charlotte entrants listed among the Top 25:
- HANDICAP TEAM: 1, All Bright Windows (Sarasota) 2,836; 2, Glitter Girls (Orlando) 2,745; 3, Girls Just Want To Have Fun (West Palm Beach) 2,745; 6, Misfits (Englewood) 2,729; 15, Pet Passings (Port Charlotte) 2,707; 19, Strike Force (Port Charlotte) 2,692; 25, Manatee Mamas (Bradenton) 2,681.
- SCRATCH TEAM: 1, DAPP Embroidery (Altamonte Springs) 2,322; B&B Properties of Orlando (Apopka) 2,260; 3, Raptor Ladies (Panama City) 2,204; 6, Awesome Four (Venice) 2,071.
- HANDICAP DOUBLES: 1, Ashley Barnes and Peggy Parker (Sarasota) 1,479; 2, Lois Jones and Sherry Smucker (Pensacola Beach) 1,477; 3, Renae Hall and Sharon Comito (Coconut Creek) 1,476; 16, Cinderella Weber and Dolores Meyers (Venice) 1,402.
- SCRATCH DOUBLES: 1, Shaye Vasturo and Melissa Ramirez (Davie) 1,329; 2, Veronika Tucker and Tanya Henry (Tampa) 1,300; 3, Renae Hall and Sharon Comito (Coconut Creek) 1,290; 8, Yvonne Pippin and Heatherly Faulkner (Venice) 1,162; 16, Cinderella Weber and Dolores Meyers (Venice) 1,080.
- HANDICAP SINGLES: 1, Leane Damminger (St. Augustine) 854; 2, Heidi Dean (Holiday) 792; 3, Rochelle Banks (Sarasota) 764; 16, Pat Peters (Arcadia) 734.
- SCRATCH SINGLES: 1, Melissa Ramirez (Davie) 658; 2, Sherry Cockfield (Village of Palmetto) 628; 3 tie, Stephanie Favors (Stuart) and Amanda Parrish (DeLand) 627; tie 6, Dolores Meyers (Venice) 620; 22, Heatherly Faulkner (Venice) 553.
- HANDICAP ALL-EVENTS: 1, Samantha McCue (Fort Myers) 2,186; 2, Erin Rinderle (Lakeland) 2,172; 3, Stacey Loar (Coconut Creek) 2,164; 19 tie, Donna Green (Bradenton) 2,108.
- SCRATCH ALL-EVENTS: 1, Melissa Ramirez (Davie) 1,981; 2 tie, Amanda Parrish (DeLand) and Sharon Comito (Coconut Creek) 1,879; 9 tie, Dolores Meyers (Venice) 1,763; 19, Heatherly Faulkner (Venice) 1,716.
To view the complete, up-to-date tournament leaderboard, click here.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]