Sarah Palin losing vegetarian supporters

Sarah_Palin.jpg

Palin’s newly released book entitled "Going Rogue" is a collection of the former Alaska governor’s personal and political memoirs that has many people more than just a little upset.

Regarding her views on eating meat, Palin says, “If any vegans came over for dinner, I could whip them up a salad, then explain my philosophy on being a carnivore. If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?”  Clearly she missed all the days in school where we were taught that humans are also animals.  Does she think God intended for us to be cannibals as well?

AP Photo/George Frey

Another line from the book reads “I love animals--right next to the mashed potatoes”. Real classy writing from a book that also included a childhood picture of Palin’s father teaching her how to skin a harbor seal.

Naturally, this book is raising eyebrows and voices across the nation from vegetarian and vegan supporters. It does seem now that Palin’s dated views on meat-eating are coming back to haunt her. She has already received a letter from PETA pointing out the many flaws in her statement (such as assuming all that vegans eat are salads) and has angered and offended animal advocates across the country.

If Palin truly plans to run for office in the 2012 elections, it appears she just lost a good deal of support from those of us who prefer to love animals when they aren’t on the center of our dinner plates.

Sarah Palin will be in town signing copies of her new book at a sold-out event hosted by Joseph-Beth Booksellers in Rookwood Pavilion on November 20th from 10am-3pm.

Like what you've read? Click on the "Subscribe" tab at the top of the article to have an email sent every time Jessica posts a new one.

Comments

• VeganGirl 4 years ago

I doubt Sarah Palin had a single vegan supporter even before this book came out. The stories of her wolf shooting policies played a role in the McCain ticket losing in 2008. It should come as no surprise to anyone that Palin has been an animal killer all her life. She's never made a secret of it, from showing off animals' skins in her house to doing an interview in front of a poultry slaughterhouse.

• Ashwin Mudigonda 4 years ago

Which ***** thought that vegan/vegetarianism = eating uncooked leaves? If mad cow disease, avian flu and swine flu aren't some apocalyptic signs of retribution, I wish it was and it affected only the carnivores.

• Palin Hater 4 years ago

I feel sorry for her kids. She is the most ridiculous person I have ever seen. Anyone who thinks that way about animals is the same a serial killer.
    She is nasty, ugly and will rot in hell for her ways and she knows it. I just wished that would slaughter her in a slaughter house or shoot her from a helicopter wounding her of course so she can suffer like the animals she killed or ordered to be killed. People like her do not deserve to be walking around, she is the laughing stock of America and we don't want her here.

• JC 4 years ago

Check out this uplifting and inspiring video on why people choose vegan: veganvideo.org/

Also see Gary Yourofsky: youtube.com/watch?v=bagt5L9wXGo

• diggerama 4 years ago

Palin's comments go beyond her ridiculous views on vegetarians - if she cannot show compassion to animals how will she treat the poor, the homeless, victims of crime and natural disaster ... shoot them from a helicopter???

• veglib 4 years ago

I don't think any vegans or vegetarians planned to vote for her anyway, in case she runs, so no big loss for either side.

• Jess 4 years ago

I know several vegetarians that were all for her getting in to office with McCain and would probably vote for her if she ran. I am in no way ONE of them, but sadly they do exist.

• Dylan 4 years ago

They probably wouldn't have voted for her even if she didn't write this book. She's always been obsessed with hunting anyway.

• Kamal 4 years ago

Following her logic can I say that if God didn't want us to rape women, He wouldn't have given them v*****?

• Vegas Vegan 4 years ago

I agree that hardly any veg*ns would have supported/voted for her, especially after that turkey massacre video.

• Nina 4 years ago

Who decided people's diets have anything to do with their political views? That is completely absurd. The real issue is that Sarah Palin is too unintelligent to write a book, or to say anything that isn't completely trite and uninformed, yet people still listen to her.

• linda 4 years ago

She should start a party -- "Bimbos R Us"

• shawn 4 years ago

Doesn't raise my eyebrows, I already knew she what a wacko.

• Ovid 4 years ago

See. if she likes the taste of meat, that's her right.

But to see an end-prouduct (meat) as the building components of a life-form is shocking. A human is an animal too.

stunning beyond belief. (( by the way, Palin was harshly criticized in the past for the Russia from the comment, et all). but in this case, how come this got no media?

• Let's Be Human 4 years ago

I'm sorry, but I think everyone here is being really mean. Were all of you ALWAYS vegatarians and vegans or is it a life style that you have acquired? Maybe Sarah Palin should be educated and not just put down. On one hand you want us to save all the animals yet you want to--well--reread what has been written and tell me if your comments about a human being and what you would do to her is healthy critisism or what. And you say she talks too much. Well--I think a few of you should have kept your mouths closed, too.

• Ugh 4 years ago

I am not a supporter, but I can say that at least she's not like other politicians who will do anything for anybody's vote. I'd rather have her spout off her uninformed, backward views than brown nose me to try and get me -- or any collective I am a part of -- to vote for her.