In the final UCI Track World Cup of the 2012/13 season, Sarah Hammer (Temecula, CA/Performance United - FELT) rode to victory in the women’s omnium. Hammer, who won silver in the women’s omnium last year at the London Olympics, finished with 14 total points, seven fewer than runner-up Li Huang of China.
On Friday, after placing third in the flying lap, Hammer finished the first day of omnium competition with wins in both the points race and the elimination race. Saturday began with Hammer placing second in the individual pursuit, an event she holds the world record in after setting it in Aguascalientes in 2010. She then rode to third in the scratch race and fourth in the time trial to secure her victory.
Without any of the other world cup omnium winners contesting the event in Aguascalientes, Hammer’s win earned her the overall UCI Track World Cup omnium title. Cari Higgins (Boulder, CO/ExergyTwenty16) finished the season ranked tenth in the omnium standings after placing fourth in the event at the world cup in Cali, Colombia, in October and tenth in Glasgow, Scotland, in November.
Hammer also contested the points race on Thursday, January 17. She finished in 15th in “a very fast, very aggressive race,” said Benjamin Sharp, USA Cycling’s High Performance Director of Endurance Programs. “The altitude took its toll as riders lost a lot of power and energy late in the race,” Sharp said. Aguascalientes is located at more than 6,000 feet above sea level.
American track cyclists will again head south of the border to the 2013 Pan Am Continental Track Championships in Mexico City from February 5 through 10. Later that month, USA Cycling will field a squad for the 2013 UCI Track World Championships in Minsk, Belarus. Those riders will be announced in early February.
UCI Track World Cup presented by Samsung #3
January 17-19, 2013
1. Sarah Hammer (Temecula, CA/Performance United - FELT) – 14 points
2. Li Huang (China/Giant Pro Cycling) – 21 points
3. Leire Olaberria Dorronsoro (Spain) – 31 points
Women’s Points Race
1. Katarzyna Pawlowska (POL) – 51 points
2. Jarmila Machacova (CZE) – 41 points
3. Massague Dominguez (CUB) – 40 points
15. Sarah Hammer (Temecula, CA/Performance United - FELT) – 10 points
Final World Cup Omnium Standings
1. Sarah Hammer (Temecula, CA/Performance United - FELT) – 12 points
2. Laura Trott (Great Britain) – 12 points
3. Isabella King (Australia) – 12 points
10. Cari Higgins (Boulder, CO/ ExergyTwenty16) – 8 points