Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Sara Ylen: Woman fakes cervical cancer, ends up with jail time

Jail time has come for the woman that faked having cancer.
Jail time has come for the woman that faked having cancer.
Sanilac County Sheriff's Department

38-year-old Sara Ylen was sentenced on Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2013, to a year in prison after she swindled, lied, deceived, and faked that she was dying of cancer. People reported that the judge called her cancer scam "almost mind-boggling" as he listened to the information about the tricks that Ylen pulled for sympathy and money.

Sara Ylen is actually already serving a minimum five-year sentence for another scam, and the one-year sentence for fraud will run at the same time.

SEE: Racist preacher: TN preacher's sermon against interracial marriage goes viral

As it happened, Sara Ylen claimed a sexual assault by James Grissom in 2001 caused her to get cervical cancer. She was treated quite regularly at Cancer Center Treatment Centers of America in Illinois. In 2011, Mercy Hospice cut her off because tests showed no signs of her life being in danger.

There was no record at the hospital of Ylen being a patient.

She did accept over $100,000 from supporters and people that just wanted to help her over the years. Ylen forged medical records that even included the letterhead of cancer specialists from the University of Michigan, and this helped fuel her lies.

"All of these fraudulent acts that you perpetrated on so many people, and the extent that you went to perpetrate them, is almost mind-boggling," Sanilac County Circuit Judge Donald Teeple said. "You took advantage of the goodwill and generosity of people who were more than willing to assist you, all based on lies."

The strangest part of the whole story is that Sara Ylen conceived these lies so well on her own because there was never confirmation from any doctor that she had cancer.

One of her many victims includes the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. She owes that insurance company a whopping $122,000.

In 2012, Grissom was released from prison after a judge determined it was time to throw out his 15-year prison sentence. Sadly, he had already served nearly 10 years in prison.

For e-mail updates whenever a new article is posted, please subscribe at the bottom of the page and follow me on Twitter, GoogleBuzz, or join my group on Facebook and Celebrity Buzz.

Report this ad