Skip to main content

See also:

Santa Rosa family unhurt after barrage of bullets fired at their home

Seven members of the same family escaped injury after a gunman, or gunmen, opened fire on their Santa Rosa home.

Police say the family members were inside their duplex on Montecito Blvd. in the Rincon Valley neighborhood of Santa Rosa when a barrage of gunfire was let loose on the home a little after 10:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Santa Rosa police Sgt. Sergeant John Cregan says when officers arrived they found bullet holes spread across the front walls of the home and “multiple” shell casings in the road.

Several of the shots fired penetrated the walls of the home and hit objects inside.

Investigators believe the assault is gang-related, but have not released any suspect information. They have not said how many shots were believed to have been fired, or provided any details about the family members, or why they may been been targeted.

In the hopes that any possible witnesses will come forward, a $2,500 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the gunman, or gunmen.

The shooting comes the day after Santa Rosa police had announced the arrest of a suspected gang member described as “armed and dangerous” in an unrelated matter.

In that incident, police said 29-year-old Valentino Kumar was arrested last week after investigators received a tip that he was hiding in a home in Boyes Hot Springs, a rural community about 20 miles outside of Santa Rosa.

Kumar -- linked to the notorious Norteno gang -- tried to run when Sonoma County deputies went to the home to arrest him, but was eventually taken into custody.

He was wanted for allegedly violating the terms of his probation.