With gas prices soaring and freeway traffic worse than ever taking trains seems like a no brainer. And to entice folks to ride the rails rather than gas-guzzling cars and trucks, Santa Barbara is running a Show your Train Ticket promotion that gives you free entry to many local attractions.
Launched in celebration of National Train Day and the 75th anniversary of Los Angeles Union Station on May 3, 2014, the promotion features everything from bicycle tours, kayak adventures, unique hotel gifts, walking tours, wine tastings and more.
Mary Byrd, manager of the award-winning project at the Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District remarked, “Our partners are offering exciting experiences. Arrive by train, show your ticket when you check into a participating hotel for goodies; then have more car free fun such as a sunset sail, a walking food tour, a ride on a Segway, an adventure on an electric bike, strolling and wine tasting in the Funk Zone, a museum tour, or some whale watching in the Santa Barbara Channel. ”
Fourteen Amtrak trains arrive and depart Santa Barbara every day including the Coast Starlight (Los Angeles to Seattle) and the Pacific Surfliner (San Diego to San Luis Obispo). When registering at www.SantaBarbaraCarFree.org, get 20 percent savings on Amtrak Pacific Surfliner and San Joaquin (and linked buses) to/from all nine Amtrak stations in Santa Barbara County see Car Free website for details and to make reservations. So book your ride at www.amtrak.com, save your tickets and cash them in at the following spots (from now through Dec. 31, 2014):
- Belmond El Encanto, BEST WESTERN PLUS Encina Inn & Suites
- Adventure Company of Santa Barbara (kayaking & surf lessons)
- Casa Dolores Center for the Study of the Popular Arts of Mexico
- Brisas del Mar, Inn at the Beach
- BEST WESTERN PLUS Pepper Tree Inn
- CONDOR Express (whale watching), Franciscan Inn
- Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara
- I Bike Santa Barbara (cycling wine tours)
- Inn by the Harbor, Lavender Inn by the Sea, Louie's Restaurant
- Pali Wine Company
- Santa Barbara Botanic Garden
- Savor Santa Barbara Food Tours
- Segway of Santa Barbara
- Spanish Garden Inn and Sunset Kidd Sailing Cruises.
Complete details can be found at http://www.santabarbaracarfree.org/SBCarFreeExperience.htm. Discover more ways to save at www.SantaBarbaraCarFree.org