Chef Paris Nabavi's new restaurant focuses on authentic Mexican fare, with some of the menu items coming from his recently-closed Cilantro Mexican Grill. After 9 years, Chef Nabavi was ready for a larger and more vibrant restaurant, and he most certainly has disappointed no one with Sangrita Grill and Cantina.
The menu utilizes locally-grown produce from Maui farms, with a fresh and healthy taste. Using recycled wood, the long and always-busy bar has a majestic mural behind it that depicts Mexican hillsides and adds a lot of color to the bar area.
Now for the food, which is truly outstanding. I recently tried the pomegranate guacamole while I looked over the entire menu and it was outstanding. I'd also highly suggest the Todo Del Mar Ceviche as an appetizer.
My seafood enchiladas with suiza sauce were outstanding, and I particularly like his black beans and rice so I ordered those as a side dish. My partner had the Short Rib Tacos, and she devoured them so fast I never had a chance to try a taste.
There's something for everyone, from Duck Carnitas, Grilled Ono, Rotisserie Chicken, and their famous Mother Clucker Flautas. I also enjoyed their Sangria. Next to us, patrons were raving about the Burrito - Ito, the Senor Cesar salad and the large selection of Tequila.
Prices are reasonable and there's plenty of parking. There's both indoor and outdoor seating, and reservations are accepted for large groups. A Cantina offers a variety of menu items for easy take-out.
The Sangrita Grill and Cantina is a new and exciting addition to the west Maui restaurant scene, and this is a restaurant I'll visit many times for Happy Hour when alone, and to take Mainland USA friends for a Mexican dining experience on Maui. I can't wait to go again soon!
The Fairway Shops Kaanapali
2580 Kekaa Drive
Lahaina, HI 96761
Open: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Happy Hour: 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Sangrita Grill and Tavern is located next to Hwy 30 in The Fairway Shops of Kaanapali. It's just a half-mile north of the major entrance to the Kaanapali Resort Area. Parking is free and there's plenty of parking, but be careful making the turn into Kekaa Drive from the busy Hwy 30.
- If you're staying in the Kaanapali Resort Area, it's an easy walk to The Fairway Shops of Kaanapali and a nice walk back to your resort by a world-class golf course.
- It's a casual, relaxed dining environment that is also child friendly. So, spend a day at the beach and then make it over to Sangrita Grill and Cantina.
- Make sure you go to the hostess station for a table. When you first walk into the restaurant through the outdoor seating area, it can be a little confusing.
- Make reservations if you have a group of six or more.
- The bar is lively and can serve the full menu, so often it's a faster alternative if you're pressed for time.
- A nearby dining alternative is CJ's Deli and Diner, offering sandwiches, soups and salads.
Hawaii Travel & Delicious Homemade Food!
The Hawaiian islands of Oahu, Maui, and The Big Island are the most visited Hawaiian islands, and Waikiki is one of the most famous beaches. Also, Honolulu airport is the "gateway" to Southeast Asia and Bangkok, Thailand is one of the most visited cities in the world.
Top 10 Maui Restaurants.
- Mama's Fish House is one of the most well-known restaurants on Maui.
- In Lahaina Town, try Lahaina Grill. It's one of the best restaurants on Maui.
- Merriman's Hawaiian Restaurant in Kapalua has won many awards for outstanding food.
- The Pineapple Grill in Kapalua is a popular, upscale restaurant popular with locals and tourists alike.
- On the west side of Maui, try Star Noodle. It's one of the most popular restaurants on the island.
- The Plantation House in Kapalua offers an excellent fine dining experience.
- Sarento's On The Beach in the Kihei area of Maui is always recognized for outstanding food and service.
- Hali' imaile General Store has pleased customers since opening in 1988 with its upcountry location.
- Japengo At The Maui Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa is a recent addition to the Top 10 Restaurants on Maui.
- Roy's in Ka'anapali has consistently been one of the top restaurants on Maui, Hawaii.
Maui's Top Attractions.
- Haleakala National Park lets you visit one of the most rare sights in the world at over 32,000 feet.
- The Road To Hana takes a full day but is one of the most famous drives in the world.
- One of the wettest and most beautiful valleys on all the Hawaiian islands is at Iao Valley.
- Visit 7 Sacred Pools (Ohe'o Gulch) past Hana on the far windward side of Maui.
- A "must-see" beach is Big Beach at Makena State Park on the southwest side of Maui, Hawaii.
- Lahaina Town & Banyan Tree on the west side of Maui is a historic whaling town with much to see.
- Stroll through gardens with over 45 varieties of lavender at the Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm.
- One of Maui's top-rated family attractions in the Maui Ocean Center.
- Maui Tropical Plantation offers rides through a tropical plantation and has a fun zipline.
- The Sugar Museum is located on Hawaii's largest working sugar factory.
- Tedeschi Winery produces wine from Maui-grown grapes at the Ulupalakua Ranch.
- Surfing Goat Dairy has world-class cheese made upcountry in a unique setting.