Sangrita Grill and Cantina has recently opened in the Shops of Fairway on the west side of Maui, Hawaii, and has quickly become a favorite of both locals and tourists.
Chef Paris Nabavi's new restaurant focuses on authentic Mexican fare, with some of the menu items coming from his recently-closed Cilantro Mexican Grill. After 9 years, Chef Nabavi was ready for a larger and more vibrant restaurant, and he most certainly has disappointed no one with Sangrita Grill and Cantina.
The menu utilizes locally-grown produce from Maui farms, with a fresh and healthy taste. Using recycled wood, the long and always-busy bar has a majestic mural behind it that depicts Mexican hillsides and adds a lot of color to the bar area.
Now for the food, which is truly outstanding. I recently tried the pomegranate guacamole while I looked over the entire menu and it was outstanding. I'd also highly suggest the Todo Del Mar Ceviche as an appetizer.
My seafood enchiladas with suiza sauce were outstanding, and I particularly like his black beans and rice so I ordered those as a side dish. My partner had the Short Rib Tacos, and she devoured them so fast I never had a chance to try a taste.
There's something for everyone, from Duck Carnitas, Grilled Ono, Rotisserie Chicken, and their famous Mother Clucker Flautas. I also enjoyed their Sangria. Next to us, patrons were raving about the Burrito - Ito, the Senor Cesar salad and the large selection of Tequila.
Prices are reasonable and there's plenty of parking. There's both indoor and outdoor seating, and reservations are accepted for large groups. A Cantina offers a variety of menu items for easy take-out.
The Sangrita Grill and Cantina is a new and exciting addition to the west Maui restaurant scene, and this is a restaurant I'll visit many times for Happy Hour when alone, and to take Mainland USA friends for a Mexican dining experience on Maui. I can't wait to go again soon!
The Fairway Shops Kaanapali
2580 Kekaa Drive
Lahaina, HI 96761
Open: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Happy Hour: 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Sangrita Grill and Tavern is located next to Hwy 30 in The Fairway Shops of Kaanapali. It's just a half-mile north of the major entrance to the Kaanapali Resort Area. Parking is free and there's plenty of parking, but be careful making the turn into Kekaa Drive from the busy Hwy 30.
- If you're staying in the Kaanapali Resort Area, it's an easy walk to The Fairway Shops of Kaanapali and a nice walk back to your resort by a world-class golf course.
- It's a casual, relaxed dining environment that is also child friendly. So, spend a day at the beach and then make it over to Sangrita Grill and Cantina.
- Make sure you go to the hostess station for a table. When you first walk into the restaurant through the outdoor seating area, it can be a little confusing.
- Make reservations if you have a group of six or more.
- The bar is lively and can serve the full menu, so often it's a faster alternative if you're pressed for time.
- A nearby dining alternative is CJ's Deli and Diner, offering sandwiches, soups and salads.
Maui is one of the most popular islands to visit, and Lahaina Town on the west side of the island is a great place for casual walking and shopping in a historic district. Plan a day trip to Lanai and visit another island. The largest and most populated island is Oahu, with the touristy Waikiki area hosting the majority of island hotels and resorts.
Southeast Asia Information