What happens when you gather just over sixty professionals from the different aspects of the wine industry, gather them in the "The City" for four days, and present them with over fifty-five hundred wines from all over America? You send home a vast array of medals to wineries all over the nation - that's what!
The 2013 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition just wrapped up, and the largest American wine competition has new winners in a broad list of categories. Over one hundred categories, to be more precise! Many wines are from California, but there are also entries from as far away as new York and Virginia, and from all points in between...perhaps most represented by Texas.
Lodi wineries that entered the SFCWC have a lot of shiny new accolades coming their way....over 170 medals were awarded to Lodi wineries and to wines made from Lodi grapes, including one Sweepstakes winner in the pink category(congratulations Sorelle!), nine Best of Class winners, and eight double golds (the recognition given when ALL the judges on a panel unanimously award it a gold!). Here are the highlights:
- Pink Sweepstakes: Sorelle Winery, 2011 Sangiovese Rosato
- Best Of Class:
- 3 Girls: 2010 Merlot
- Barefoot Bubbly: Moscato Spumante
- Barefoot Cellars: Moscato
- Earthquake: 2010 Petite Sirah
- Harney Lane Winery: 2011 Albarino
- Klinker Brick: 2010 Farrah Syrah
- Klinker Brick:2010 Old Vine Zinfandel
- Lucas Winery: 2010 Chardonnay
- m2 Wines: 2010 Syrah
- Double Gold:
- Barefoot Cellars: Pink Moscato
- Cycles Gladiator: 2012 Pinot Grigio
- Harlow Ridge: 2011 Chardonnay
- Klinker Brick: 2010 Marissa Vineyard Zinfandel
- Lucas Winery: 2011 Zin Blossom
- Macchia: 2011 Outrageous Zinfandel
- McConnell Estates Winery: 2008 Zinfandel
- Stellina: 2010 Zinfandel
Congratulations to ALL of the medal winners! You can check out the complete list of medal winners at http://www.winejudging.com/medal_winners.htm, and see how your favorite Lodi winery fared.