The Samsung Galaxy S5 is coming to major U.S. and Canadian carriers for Spring 2014, and so is the HTC M8 (HTC One 2). These two smartphones will hit carriers and retailers at around the same time as rivals on the mobile market battlefield.
As PC Advisor reports (March 15), the final product name for the upcoming new HTC flagship phone is still unclear. Reports often refer to the upcoming device by it's codename, the HTC "M8" or the HTC One 2. HTC recently called it the “All New HTC One” and it's suggested that the phone maker could also opt for the moniker,“HTC One 2014”.
One month after the Samsung Unpacked 5 launch event for the Galaxy S5 during Mobile World Congress (MWC 2014) week, HTC will announce its next-gen HTC One on March 25. Leaks and rumors surrounding the HTC M8 (HTC One 2) have already revealed some of the key product specs (rumored specs).
If you’re in the market for a new phone this Spring, you might be curious to know how the HTC One 2 (HTC M8) specs and features compare to the Samsung Galaxy S5.
Samsung Galaxy S5 (Galaxy S4 successor):
- Display: 5.1-inch Super AMOLED, 1080 x 1920, 432 ppi, features include light and proximity sensor. (Corning Gorilla Glass 3)
- Key Features: Water and dust resistant, IP67 certifies and can survive in up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes, plastic body, fingerprint sensor (PayPal certified) Heart rate sensor
- CPU/Memory/GPU: 2.5 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801, 2GB RAM, Adreno 330
- Storage: 16/32GB storage (max user storage is 10.7GB)
- MicroSD slot: expandable microSD, HC, XC up to 128GB
- Battery: 2800 mAh for a talk time 21 hours, standby of 390 hours (16 days)
- Rear Camera: 16 megapixels, LED flash, aperture F2.2, sensor 1/2.5”
*Camera features include autofocus, touch to focus, manual focus, image stabilization, face and smile detection and High Dynamic Range mode (HDR)
- Video Recording: 2160p at 30fps, 1080p at 60fps, HDR, video stabilization, dual video recording.
- Front Camera: 2.1-megapixels, records 1080p video at 30fps, dual video call
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, micro-SIM, Wi-Fi 802.11, mobile hotspot, USB 3.0, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0
- Opertaing System: Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS/TouchWizUI launcher
- Browser: Google Chrome
- Release Date: April 11
- U.S. Carriers: Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, MetroPCS and US Cellular. Sprint pre-paid subsidiaries, Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile will release the Samsung Galaxy S5 in Q2 (between the months of April and June).
- Canadian Carriers: Bell, Eastlink, Rogers, Koodo, Fido, MTS, Videotron, Virgin Mobile, Wind Mobile, SaskTel and TELUS
- Price: Currently unknown. According to SamMobile, the 16GB Galaxy S5 list price is 45,000 rupees in India, which converts to $735 in the US, off contract. According to TmoNews, a leak from T-Mobile’s product page showed a full retail price of $672.
- Color Options: Black, white, blue and gold.
HTC M8 (HTC One 2) aka HTC Two (HTC One Successor):
- Display: 5-inch Super LCD3 1080 x 1920 resolution, 441 ppi, (Corning Gorilla Glass 3)
- Key Features: Metal body, HTC BoomSound and HTC Zoe confirmed via HTC's YouTube page. HTC BlinkFeed is likely, as it seems to be a staple feature of the HTC One flagship.
- CPU/Memory/GPU: 2.3 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801, 2GB RAM, Adreno 330
- Storage: 16/32/64GB storage
- MicroSD slot: expandable microSD, up to 128 GB
- Battery: 2600 mAh (Non-removable)
- Rear Camera: 5 megapixels, HTC UltraPixel dual sensor, LED flash, aperture F2.0 sensor 1/3"
*Camera features include face and smile detection and HD video recording
- Video Recording: 1080p at 30fps, 720p at 60fps. HDR,
- Front Camera: 2.1-megapixels, records 1080p video at 30fps
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, Nano-SIM, Wi-Fi 802.11, mobile hotspot, USB 2.0, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0
- Operating System: Android 4.4.2 KitKat/Sense 6.0 UI launcher
- Browser: HTML5
- Release Date: Currently unknown. Rumor has it that HTC is aiming for a release date during the second week of April, 2 weeks after March 25 announcement.
- U.S. Carriers: Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. Although unannounced, according to Engadget, the HTC M8 (HTC One 2) features FCC compatibility for AT&T. According to SlashGear earlier this month, the phone will also run on Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. We should get more details on March 25 at HTC's official launch. Also, leaks from @evleaks show what appears to press images bearing AT&T and Verizon logos.
- Canadian Carriers: According to MobileSyrup, PR reps for TELUS confirm that the carrier will offer the "All New HTC One" (HTC M8).
- Price: Currently unknown, although as MobileSyrup reports, TELUS plans to offer the "All New HTC One" (HTC M8) for $229
- Color Options: Gold, gray, silver, white