On Thursday, March 14, 2013, Samsung revealed the new Samsung Galaxy S4 at the Samsung Unpacked event to a full house at Radio City Music Hall in New York, NY. JK Shin, President and Head of the IT and Mobile Communication Division of Samsung Electronics was the first to reveal the new design and features of the phone. Shin’s presentation was followed by four theatrical acts showcasing the new features of the Samsung Galaxy S4.
According to Shin, the new phone is "slimmer yet stronger, less to hold yet more to see, it is simply amazing." Compared to Galaxy predecessors, the new phone has a larger screen with 4.9 inch Full HD Super AMOLED display screen, 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm in size and weighing only 130 grams. Some of the new features include:
- Dual Camera/Recorder – 13 MP rear facing and 2 MP front facing camera, which has the capability to overlay images from the rear and front camera while pictures or video are being recorded in real time
- Samsung Knox – allows for two phones in one, which provide security so the two phones may not access the files of one another; perfect for those who carry two separate phones for work and personal usage
- Samsung Smart Pause – using eye recognition, videos will pause when users look away from the phone
- Group Play – allows groups to listen to the same song at the same time
- S Translate – can translate between 10 languages from text to voice and voice to text.
- S Health – helps monitor health
- Air View & Hand Gestures – users can use the phone without even touching the phone, which also makes the phone very glove friendly
After the presentation, the audience was invited to test out the new Samsung Galaxy S4. Many of those testing the new phone were taken back by the new features.
Ken Helman, Senior Director at Oppenheimer, stated “The ability to separate the devices into two units and to be able to have my personal phone and my business phone in one without having interference by corporate seems to be an absolute game changer.”
The new “Life Companion,” as it is being referenced as by Samsung, is expected to be released this April across 327 mobile networks in 154 countries across the globe.
For more information about Samsung, please visit: www.samsung.com