They vowed to follow plant-based, vegan diets for 22 days, and now Beyonce and Jay Z are enjoying the tasty benefits by dining out in the finest vegan restaurants in Los Angeles, reports People magazine.
One of the diet duo's favorites: Organic, vegan L.A. restaurant Café Gratitude, where Beyoncé started with the “I Am Pure” kale and seaweed salad.
Executive chef Dreux Ellis shared the recipe below. Tip: You can enjoy the delights of kale at home by clicking here for "Fifty Shades of Kale: 50 Fresh and Satisfying Recipes That Are Bound to Please."
Kale and Seaweed Salad
For the dressing:
- ½ cup sesame tahini
- ¾ cup sunflower seeds, soaked 4-8 hours and rinsed
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 3-5 garlic cloves (to taste)
- ½ bunch parsley
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
For the salad:
- 6 cups shredded kale
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup soaked and rinsed sea vegetable (sea palm, wakame or hijiki or a combination of all 3)
- 4 nori sheets (cut up or torn into 1 inch squares)
- ½ cup chopped mixed herbs: cilantro, basil, scallions
- ½ cup garlic tahini dressing
- ½ cup toasted almonds
1. To make the garlic tahini dressing: Combine all ingredients except the parsley and sesame oil in a blender and blend until smooth. When the dressing is smooth, add the parsley and re-blend. (Note: Do not over-blend. Make sure that flecks of parsley are still visible in the dressing.)
2. To make the toasted almonds: Toss 1 cup of almonds in 1 tbsp of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt, and toast in a 350-degree oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn.
3. To assemble the salad: Toss together the shredded kale, diced cucumber, shredded carrots, the chopped, mixed herbs and the soaked and drained sea vegetables. Dress the salad with ½ to 1 cup of garlic tahini dressing. Garnish the salad with 1-inch squares of nori sheets, the toasted almonds and a light drizzle of the toasted sesame oil. Sunflower sprouts make a great addition, both in the salad or as a garnish.
Credit: The above is from People's Great Ideas channel: http://greatideas.people.com/2013/12/11/beyonce-jayz-22-days-vegan-kale-...