Sales engineers held about 66,000 jobs in 2012 and employment of sales engineers is projected to grow 9 percent from 2012 to 2022. Growth is also likely to be strong for sales engineers selling computer software and hardware. Employment of sales engineers in computer systems design and related services is projected to grow 35 percent from 2012 to 2022.
Sales engineers sell complex scientific and technological products or services to businesses. They must have extensive knowledge of the products’ parts and functions and must understand the scientific processes that make these products work.
Sales engineers typically do the following:
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations explaining products or services to customers and prospective customers
- Confer with customers and engineers to assess equipment needs and to determine system requirements
- Collaborate with sales teams to understand customer requirements and provide sales support
- Secure and renew orders and arrange delivery
- Plan and modify products to meet customer needs
- Help clients solve problems with installed equipment
- Recommend improved materials or machinery to customers, showing how changes will lower costs or increase production
- Help in researching and developing new products
- They must interest the client in buying their products or services, negotiate a price, and complete the sale. To do this, sales engineers give technical presentations during which they explain the technical aspects of the product and how it will solve a specific customer problem.
- Some sales engineers, however, team with salespersons who concentrate on marketing and selling the product, which lets the sales engineer concentrate on the technical aspects of the job. By working as part of a sales team, each member is able to focus on his or her strengths and expertise.
The median annual wage for sales engineers was $91,830 in May 2012. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $55,660 and the top 10 percent earned more than $150,970.
Sales Engineer Jobs I’m recruiting for:
Pittsburgh Companies hiring Sales Engineers:
Follow my job search training tips on LinkedIn here: https://www.linkedin.com/company/job-search-training
Join the 1 on 1 career help LinkedIn group: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/1-on-1-Career-Help-8136896/about
- Twitter https://twitter.com/RecruiterCori
- LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/in/recruitercori/
- LinkedIn Company Page: Sarammi Recruiting and Headhunting Specialists
- Sarammi Facebook Page: http://tinyurl.com/sarammifacebookpage
- Informing Job Seekers
- Sarammi Inc. Recruiting, Sourcing and Job Search Mentoring
- Job Searching Strategies
- Pittsburgh’s Ultimate Career Connection on Facebook
Resume Writing EBook
Straight Talk from a Recruiter: Resume Writing Strategies and Easy To Follow Techniques
Article Source: www.bls.gov