The Big Mac often gets a bad wrap. With the two hamburgers, special sauce, cheese and the 550 calories, 10 grams of fat and 1000mg of sodium that comes along with it no wonder. So when you think that you’re making a healthier choice with a salad, but in reality you're doing more harm than good it can be eye-opening. Here are some of the most popular salads that are considered to be worse than a Big Mac, are you eating any of these?
- The southwest fiesta salad offered at restaurants like Applebee’s and Chili’s may seem like a healthy choice but in actuality it can contain double the amount of calories of a Big Mac. The cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips puts it over the edge with more than 14 grams of fat and 1300mg of sodium. Did you know that sodium is one of the biggest culprits of being overweight? Learn more here.
- The famous crispy chicken caesar salad is found on nearly every restaurant menu, even McDonalds. But did you know that it also has double the calories of a Big Mac clocking in at nearly 1000? The deep fried chicken and Caesar dressing puts this salad into the unhealthy zone with more than 12 grams of fat.
- Taco salad is another favorite, but with all of the fatty beef, cheese and sour cream included with this dish you might be better off with the Big Mac. Most taco salads contain nearly 800 calories, 10 grams of saturated fat and a whopping 1300mg of sodium. Salt is a culprit to weight and health. Learn how to cut sodium from your diet and lose weight here.
- Buffalo chicken salad is a favorite and has been appearing everywhere nowadays including Chili’s menu. But unfortunately this salad is considered to be one of the worst mostly because of the tremendous amount of sodium it contains (the Chili’s version has over 4000mg). The blue cheese dressing doesn’t help the fat and calorie count either.
- The Asian grilled chicken salad seems to be one of the better choices because of the idea that the protein isn’t fried. But in reality this salad contains a ton of sodium and more than 12 grams of fat, making it less than a desirable choice.
- The cobb salad, who hasn’t had one at some point in their lives? There’s no doubt, this salad can be delicious but some of the ingredients like the bacon and blue cheese can put it over the edge nearing 1300 calories and potentially 12 grams of fat.
Recommended by the author: