Saint Patrick's day is all about corned beef and cabbage, colcannon and green beer. This year, add a little sweetness to the mix, with this Chocolate Ale Cake.
Use a good quality amber ale for the best flavor. Be sure to drink a good quality amber ale while you make the cake too!
Chocolate Ale Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 1/2 cups raw cane or turbinado sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) Amber Ale
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in the microwave, or in a bowl over simmering water. Let the chocolate cool slightly.
- In an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar 2-3 minutes, until well mixed.
- Add the eggs one at a time, being sure to mix well before adding another.
- Add the cooled chocolate to the mixer, making sure to scrape down to bowl and mixing well.
- On low speed add the amber ale, and mix just until the beer is incorporated.Add the dry ingredients slowly and beat the batter just until mixed well. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Divide the batter between two 9" round cake pan, which have been buttered and floured. You can also place a buttered and floured piece of parchment in the pan to help prevent the cake from sticking.
- Bake the cakes in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes on a rack for 20 minutes, then invert onto the rack to continue cooling.When completely cooled, frost the cakes with Bittersweet Chocolate Frosting.
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 50 mins Yield: One 2 layer cake
Bittersweet Chocolate Frosting
- 2 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- In an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes, until well mixed.
- Add the cocoa powder and beat for an additional minute.
- Add the vanilla extract and melted chocolate, and mix for a minute until well combined.
- On medium speed, beat the icing for 4-5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Frost the cooled cake with the icing.
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: Total time: 15 mins Yield: enough to frost a 2 layer cake