SafeMart offers tips to stay safe throughout the holidays, so you don’t have to worry during such a joyous time of year. It is a time of sharing, giving, and sometimes travelling to be with our loved ones, leaving our homes vacant and unattended.
Burglars see this time of year as a perfect opportunity to burglarize our homes for small easy- to- carry valuables such as jewelry, cash, credit cards, and small appliances. The statistics indicate a 7% increase in property loss during the Christmas season. 85% of all residential burglaries usually occur when the home is unoccupied and 65% of these were forced entries. The F.B.I. indicates that burglars are 2.7 times more likely to target homes without alarm systems.
Six Safety Tips By SafeMart
Chris Johnson, President of SafeMart, a leading home security company, wants you to be safe for the coming season and offers these Top 6 Tips to give you peace of mind and a sense of security:
• Don’t broadcast your plans on Social Media - When you tell your family and friends on sites like Facebook and Twitter about your wonderful holiday getaway you may as well be putting a sign on your front lawn that says: Steal My Stuff. Burglars crave information and they gather bits of your life when you over share on social media.
• Make sure your doors are locked - The F.B.I reports 90% of all intrusions occur through doors and burglars look for unlocked doors as an easy means of entry. It is easy to spot a sliding glass door that has an extension cord passed through it to power outdoor lights. If hiring an electrician to install an outdoor power source is not an option, simply unplug the extension cord and bring it inside the home.
• Use a home security and control system from SafeMart, using their exclusive Plug & Protect™ technology that provides custom security systems with simple wireless activation. Control your system with the mobile apps on iPhone or Android. The system is completely customized and set up for each individual customer. It is then shipped, with easy to follow instructions, directly to the home for simple placement.
• Away during the season: If you plan to be away during the holidays, don’t leave the clues that are a telltale sign that burglars look for, such as lights burning 24 hours a day, piled up mail and newspapers. Install a simple timer for the lights and have a neighbor pick up your mail and papers daily.
• Keep doors and windows securely locked: Burglars will spend less than 2 minutes to break into a home. Experienced burglars know the garage door is usually the weakest point of entry followed by the back door. Remember to secure any outdoor shed that you have on your property: this is an easy place to find tools to break into the home.
• Don’t leave clues of expensive gifts: After the big day, all gift packaging especially from a new home computer, DVD player, etc. should be broken down and not placed out for the garbage until pickup day.
Protecting your home and family from criminal intrusion should be high on your list of priorities, but the team at SafeMart also does not want you to overlook the possibility of a fire in the home during the holiday season.
SafeMart Bonus Tips to Avoid a Fire During the Holidays:
• Outdoor and Indoor Lights: Before using lights outdoors, check labels to be sure they have been certified for outdoor use. Plug all outdoor electric decorations into circuits with ground-fault circuit interrupters to avoid potential shocks. Do not overload extension cords. Turn off all lights when you go to bed or leave the house. The lights could short out and start a fire.
• Christmas Tree: Look for flame retardant non-combustible decorations. Make sure to inspect the string of lights before you decorate the tree with them and change any damaged or burnt out bulbs. Never decorate the tree with candles and always extinguish candles before going to bed. Metallic trees and electric lights can cause a major injury if the lights short circuit and someone touches the branches of the tree.
• Fireplace: Keep all wrapping paper and ribbons away from the flame as it burns quickly and intensely and could cause a flash fire. Always use your fireplace screen and keep pets and little ones away from the flames.
One of the benefits of a personalized home security system by SafeMart is that they offer both smoke and heat detectors that connect to your home security monitoring control panel. The great thing about monitored fire protection is if smoke or heat are detected while nobody is home, a signal will be sent to your home security monitoring station. The monitoring station will then contact the fire department, and your home will have the best chance possible of being saved.
The holidays are a time to enjoy the festivities and not be stressed over the safety of your home and possessions. If you are in the market for a quality home security system the staff at SafeMart are available to discuss any and all of your home safety issues.