Whether it be an invite to showcase at New York Fashion Week or a national debut on Project Runway, Sacramento has seen the rise of its local designers.
This year marks the seventh year for Sacramento Fashion Week (SACFW). Starting Sunday February 24th and ending March 2nd. The final two days will consist of designer showcases. Both of which shows sold out two weeks prior last year.
Sacramento’s growing fashion community is not to be taken lightly in both talent and the impact they have made in Sacramento. SACFW, over the years, has been one of the major influences and has brought the community together through the showcases and monthly Fashion Affair gatherings.
The designers are not the only ones that have benefited from the event, but hair stylists, make-up artists, and the entertainment industry have come together and created new opportunities for themselves.
Their unity and growth has inspired successful industry professionals, such as America’s Next Top Model Cycle 4 Winner Naima Moora, to participate and lend their support. They believe that Sacramento has the potential to make a statement beyond Northern California with showcases production that rival San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Sacramento Fashion Week Line Up
• February 24th: Launch Party will be held to celebrate the beginning of SACFW.
• February 25th: A panel of six fashion industry professionals will educate and share their experiences with the students and community at the Fashion Forum.
• February 26th: The Modeling 101 and Social Media Workshops will give the attendees a great introduction to the modeling industry and an overview on how social media creates a great impact on the industry.
• February 27th: In addition to being lead the salon for SACFW, Allure Salon and Spa will host a Hair & Makeup Workshop. New to the line up of events is “Fashion on Film” evening the California Film Foundation will host where local filmmakers will feature fashion inspired films.
• February 28th: A new addition to the lineup is the Boutique Showcase, showcasing styles from local boutiques. Attendees can purchase styles right off the runway after the show. Participating boutiques and businesses include Aquamarine Jewelers, Felicia Strati, Trumpette, French Cuff Consignment, Violet Muse, and Article Consignment Boutique.
• March 1st: The first group of designers will showcase their Spring/Summer collections on the runway.
• March 2nd: The second group of designers will showcase their Fall/Winter collections on the runway.
Joining the designers will be the Junior League of Sacramento who will be this year’s beneficiary. SACFW has admired the Junior League for their commitment to develop the potential of women, and to improve the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.
SACFW also believes in mentoring future leaders and young professionals, and has done so within the core team and through the internship program. It is because of this vision that the Junior League was chosen as the beneficiary for the 2013 year.
You can follow news of SAC Fashion Week right here on this column beginning Monday with a story and interviews from the launch party.
Check out all my examiner columns:
Subscribe to get email updates when new articles are published!