Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Sacramento Republic F.C. loses "friendly" to Club Atlas 2-1

Action from Sunday night's game.
Action from Sunday night's game.
Joseph Ulibas

The game started out with Sacramento dominating the field position on the pitch. The sellout crowd was livelier than usual due to a strong presence of Club Atlas fans whose booster club was large and bantered back and forth with the Tower Bridge Battalion with rival chants and songs. Both teams advanced the ball deep into each other's goalie zone but were unable to punch it in. In the 22nd minute, Atlas missed three shots-on-goals in a span of less than a minute due to great defensive play and luck.

Sacramento's defense held off another offensive push from Atlas and persevered by holding on. The Atlas attack was non-stop and relentless but the Republic's strong defense continued to make a stand whilst Dominik Jakubek continued to remain stone cold in front of the net. Play between the two clubs started to get a bit chippy but both teams maintained a sportsmanlike attitude towards one another. In the 31st minute Jakubek made another tremendous one handed save in a one-on-one confrontation with an Atlas attacker.

Atlas' unorthodox play and passing often perplexed the Republic in the waning half of the first. They attacked Sacramento's offense relentlessly often putting them on their heels. But the defense and goalie kept them out of the net. Sacramento scored in the 39th minute with a goal from Max Alverez (assisted by Chad Bartlomé) giving the Republic a 1-0 lead near the end of the first half. Atlas made a last minute push in an attempt to score in the extra time and used all sixty seconds but were unable to score ending the half with a one goal lead for Sacramento.

The second half started off with the Republic attacking right out of the gate and immediately pressured the Atlas defense. Club Atlas was able to fend them off and applied some of their own when they made a push down the pitch. Sacramento reversed their momentum and marched back themselves but missed an opportunity to make it a 2-0 game in the 59th minute when there was a one-on-one between an attacker and goalie but the ball rocketed in the air and bounced off the cross bar and into the stands. Atlas counterattacked with a strike down pitch of their own and missed a chance for a one-on-one equalizer.

The Republic dodge a bullet in the 65th minute when an Atlas attacker missed a shot-on-goal attempt that went a bit too wide to the right. They continued to add pressure and attacked Sacramento’s goal but were unable to punch it in for a score. Jakubek’s brilliant play in front of the net continued to keep Atlas from tying up the game. Atlas made a gutsy attack in the 73rd minute but were denied once again after two missed shot-on-goals, in the 75th minute Jakubek made another great one hand block in a swarm of Atlas players.

The game entered the final fifteen minutes of play both teams began to play chippy again. A yellow card was issued to Juan de Dios Hernández Tagle of Club Atlas. But they were able to score in the 79th minute by Sergio Amaury (assisted by Edy Germán Brambili Rosales) to tie the game 1-1 as they were finally able to break through the tough defense of The Republic. Club Atlas scored again with a goal from Luis Nery Caballero (assisted by Facundo Erpen) in the 83rd minute to take a 2-1. Atlas’ booster club came to life when their team scored again and they seemed to feed off of it.

Atlas played as if they smelled blood in the water and relentlessly attacked Sacramento in the final minutes of the game. Jack Avesyan of The Republic earned a yellow card in the 84th minute. Sacramento tried to mount a comeback but Club Atlas continued their aggressive play denying any opportunity for a shot-on-goal attempt and held on to the 2-1 victory. The Republic F.C.'s next game will be on Monday at 8:00 P.M. This is the makeup date for the cancelled Fourth of July Game and the kick-off time has been pushed back due to tomorrow's hot weather.

Report this ad