Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Sacramento Republic F.C. blackouts the Oklahoma City Energy F.C. 2-1

Action from Saturday night's game.
Action from Saturday night's game.
Joseph Ulibas

A warm day turned into a nice breezy evening for the fans at Bonney Field. The Sacramento Republic took on the visiting Oklahoma City Energy F.C. This game is a revenge of sorts for the Republic who have lost two straight to the Energy by the scores of 2-0 in both games. Oklahoma City is looking to keep their unbeaten streak whilst Sacramento is making a push to stay in third place in the USL Pro standings.

Sacramento struck first in the 14th minute when Adam Jahn scored (with an assist from Max Alvarez) to give the Republic a 1-0 lead. They would go up 2-0 when the Energy’s Cyprian Hedrick would accidentally kick the ball into his own goal in the 18th minute during a crazy logjam in front of Oklahoma City’s goal. Both teams afterward settled down and played very competitively often running up and down the pitch with ease but neither team was able to punch it in. The first half ended with Sacramento leading the game 2-0.

The second half began with Sacramento making a quick push down to pitch to make two shot-on-goals but the Energy’s defense and goalie Sami Badr prevented a goal. Sacramento continued their attack by constantly applying pressure to Oklahoma City’s defense and by playing ball control on their side of the pitch. Whenever the Energy would make a concerted push down pitch, the Republic with an attacking scheme of their own. Justin Braun would miss the goal with a rocket shot in the 61st minute that sailed away from the net as Sacramento continued to play ball control in Energy territory.

Oklahoma City tried to counterattack after Sacramento made a couple of shot-on-goals by taking the deflected shots and move down pitch but once again the Republic took the ball away and nearly scored again in the 68th minute. No matter what the Energy did Sacramento seem to have an answer for it. Oklahoma City’s Kyle Greig (Michael Thomas with the assist) squeaks past the Republic defenders and scores a goal in the 74th minute making it a 2-1 game. The goal seemed to reinvigorate both clubs as they continued to battle it out on the pitch matching each other shot for shot. As the game winds down in the second half it could be a real nail biter in the final minutes as the Energy tries to score an equalizer.

The Energy made a late push in the game by setting up an attacking scheme that briefly perplexed the Republic defense but Jake Gleeson stonewalled Oklahoma City at the net. Sacramento counterattacked with a shot-on-goal of their own in the 87th minute and continued to apply pressure on Oklahoma City by keeping the ball in their territory making them very desperate and harried. The Energy’s made one last minute scoring drive but the Republic was able to fend them off to win the game 2-1 and end Oklahoma’s unbeaten streak at three. Sacramento improves to 13-6-3 whilst the Energy fall to 8-9-5.

Sacramento's next game will be on the road next Sunday against the Orange County Blues F.C. The Republic's next home game will be Wednesday, August 20 against the Wilmington Hammerheads F.C. Tickets to that game are available at For more information about the Sacramento Republic F.C. please visit

Report this ad